WIRING HARNESS INFO FOR 1973 AVANTI II

MARK

I need information about the wiring harness. There are too many cut wires, loose wires, wires that start and end, etc. Does anyone have a wire diagram? I am willing to pay for a copy or to buy.

Do you have a Stude Avanti shop manual? That has a wiring diagram, and the same harness was likely used for a few years of the Avanti II, with additions for new/different accessories. Unfortunately it leaves out most accessory circuits. There weren't, to my knowledge, any diagrams published by Avanti Motors for the Avanti II cars.

I've seen the Stude diagrams alone for sale on eBay, in paper color reproduction ($20+ shipping) and on CD ($6 + shipping), but I think for the price you'd be better off with the shop manual since it has much more information than just a wiring diagram.

I do have a booklet of xeroxed hand-drawn sketches of partial wiring diagrams for some circuits of various year Avanti II's that was put together by an individual "E.J.J. 3rd", titled "Avanti II Electrical Circuits Block Diagrams" copyrighted in 1990 and sold via an ad in the AOAI magazine, I think (about 25 pp). I can't recall for certain where I got it. Unfortunately there is no contact info in the book, and it contains only partial diagrams (apparently sketches the author had made while chasing problems), for circuits like the antenna, radio, power locks, burglar alarm, cruise control, etc.

You might try contacting some of the parts vendors to see if they know of anything (Nostalgic, for instance)

Does anyone know who makes a good aftermarket wiring kit for a fiberglass body/Avanti?

I have done a number of EZ wiring kits, but never anything on fiberglass.

I guess it would just mean running a number of extra grounds to the circuits.

I doubt anyone makes a repro harness for the Avanti. You could check with Nostalgic Motorcars to see if they have a Stude Avanti harness, or you might be able to adapt a Corvette harness....

http://www.lectriclimited.com/wiring-corvette.htm

http://tinyurl.com/b6trf

http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/Chevrolet_Corvette.pdf

• 5 months later...
I need information about the wiring harness. There are too many cut wires, loose wires, wires that start and end, etc. Does anyone have a wire diagram? I am willing to pay for a copy or to buy.

Have you found any harness maker yet? I just acquired a '63 Avanti that had been "upgraded" in the mid-eighties. Newer interior/dash & gauges. It also has many hanging wires and now has developed gauge issues, probably grounding related judging by the peformance and sequence of the failures. I will be contacting the two id'd vendors in the replies to your initial question. In addition I have contacted Ron Francis Wiring and am awaiting his reply. Posting the same question on some Studebaker forums I was told that a West Coast Studebaker may have wiring harness' available, have yet to find/contact them. I believe they are up in Washington State. Would you be interested in obtaining a complete new harness if I can find one/two?

• 4 weeks later...