1963 Avanti R2

63 Avanti R2

Just about when I say "never", someone drives up in a Lionel Stone hydraulic lifter conversion or one the owner did himself. So, no, Studebaker never sold an Avanti with hydraulic lifters. But yes, a very few were converted by the owner. Then there was the one with the Chevy V8.

jack vines

All Studebaker engines used solid, adjustable lifters. They never went to hydraulic.

All Studebaker engines used solid, adjustable lifters. They never went to hydraulic.

Bruce,My lifters are a little on the noisy side and I think they need to be adjusted. It sounds like a thrashing machine. I suppose go my the manual in adjusting them.

And don't get tangled up in your underwear about adjusting them hot and running or cold minus .00x". The Studebaker V8 is an agricultural implement and a thou either way doesn't make any difference. I do it with the engine warm but not hot.

Having said that, I occasionally find one valve which still seems noisy after setting it to spec. This can be caused by wear on the rocker tip which throws off feeler gauge adjustment. For these, I use a magnetic stand and a dial indicator. This gives the exact clearance including any wear.

jack vines