Alternator problem

Stan Gundry

I posted this on the SDC Forum and have not received much help. Maybe Someone here can.

Several weeks ago I completed the conversion from the original Prestolite Alternator with external Voltage Regulator to the bolt-in 1988 Toyota Tercel Alternator with internal Voltage Regulator. I followed the instructions for the conversion carefully and even had my local old-timer mechanic confirm that I was wiring it right.

Every thing seemed fine from the get-go. It charged the battery for 3 or 4 minutes after starting and then the needle on the Ammeter settled right in the middle the dial. I have driven it 4 or 5 times and probably put at least 60 miles on the new set up.

It was fine, until today. When I started it up today to take my great grandson for a ride (yes, he appreciates the finer things of life like I do), the Ammeter showed a significant discharge, both with the ignition key on and with the car running, a discharge of about 10 amps if the Ammeter is to be believed. gunning the engine made no difference.

What is the likely problem? A bad Alternator/internal Voltage Regulator (purchased a rebuild from Rock Auto)? A short in my original wiring harness (I did take the precaution of installing a 60 amp fuse in the cable that goes from the Bat. terminal on the Alernator to the + terminal on the Ignition Switch)? Something else?

What tests can I do to find out what the problem is? Right now I am thinking I should have stuck with the old Prestolite, but the new setup seemed to promise more reliability.

With the engine running at about 1200 rpm read voltage between battery terminals, should be 13.1 volts or higher. If not, alternator is probably not working. I only use new alternators when possible because of the poor quality of todays rebuilds. I looked your alternator up and saw that none of my suppliers offered a new one.

Check the fuse, if it blew that would cause the problem that you are having. I checked Motor Alldata and the alternator you have could have a output of up to 70 Amps.

Edited by IndyJimW