Turn Signal lever Replacement

plwindish

The turn signal lever on my 76 stopped canceling itself out after a turn. After talking with Dan Booth, I found the lever needs to be replaced. Taking the cover off the turn signal switch outside the steering column confirmed the broken metal at the end of the turn signal lever. Dan said to remove the steering wheel, then take the nut off the steering column shaft, remove the locking snap ring, then using a steering wheel puller, pull the hub off to reveal the inside where the screw is located to fasten the turn lever. Everything went ok for removing the wheel (6 screws) and the nut, but I do not see a locking snap ring or any place on the shaft where the snap ring would fit. My question is if anyone has taken off a Momo wheel and not found a locking snap ring under the nut on the steering column shaft to remove before removing the hub. I did some looking at U-Tube videos on steering columns, but they proved to be more comical than informative.

I recently took the Nardi steering wheel off of my 83 to replace the ignition lock and the only snap ring I encountered (not really a snap ring but a split ring) was after I removed the steering wheel hub. The split ring holds the ignition lock disk onto the steering shaft. I do not know if your 76 uses the same steering column configuration as my 83 which looks like standard GM. The replacement ignition lock was the same as that used on an 83 Chevrolet Caprice.

My replacement turn signal lever came 2 days ago and I pulled the steering wheel hub, to find the job was much simpler than I had imagined it would be. After the steering wheel and hub came off with a gear puller(very little pressure was needed, and I kept the wheel attached to the Momo adaptor for added strength), a plate with 3 screws came off to reveal another plate over the signal switch and steering wheel lock assembly. A button was then pushed down so the plate could be rotated clockwise to reveal the screw holding the turn signal lever stub. Once the lever was replaced, everything went back together with not issues with the exception of the horn sounding when putting the hub back on by grounding the hub against the horn stub coming through the hub plate. I thought the lever to be a little pricey at $87 plus shipping, but I ordered it on Monday and had the part on Wednesday. Nostalgic's Dan Booth is a wealth of Avanti information and has always been able to help me with any Avanti issues. I consider him the sharpest Avanti mind out there.

Edited by plwindish