Steering Columns

GAWen

Has anyone replaced the stock steering column in a Altman (or 63-64) Avanti ? And if so, which vendor did you get your column from? How hard was it the make the electrical system match up ? Does any one have a 63-71 Tilt steering column for sale. Finally, who can/will rebuild my current column ?? RQB1600 can not go back on the road without a steering column.

George

Nostalgic Motors has NOS steering columns...don't know the selling price. They advertise them on Ebay every now and then. If I remember they have storage marks and could probably stand a repaint before installation.

If you want your original column rebuilt I would think Jon Myers is the one to call for that. The parts to do so are available and I don't believe it's too tough to do yourself.

The original tilt wheel columns are pretty much made of unobtanium but one never knows. I've driven an Avanti so equipped and they're not really worth it...at least not to me. They tilt the wrong way...from the standard position they tilt down when one would want them to tilt up. Why they were designed that way I've no idea. They also are somewhat longer and put the steering wheel further into your gut (if you're built like me).

Just my two cents.

I offered Rick's Restorations the opportunity to work on a rare piece of Americana. He flat out refused to touch it, as it did not fit in with his agenda.

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier this year we pulled the steering column from my 78 II packed it up and sent to Nostalgic for a rebuild.

Came back 5 days later and reinstalled. Great job, no issues, fair price. No more loose steering.