Some interesting Observations

Charlie Kile

Being both an AVANTI owner and a private pilot, I've had some interesting observations.

Most pilots i've met ride motorcycles. Mostly Harley Davidson and BMW..

Most AVANTI owners own either a Corvette or a Jaguar for sports cars.

I ride a Harley and have an E-TYPE Roadster.

Charlie

Most of my pilot friends aren't into cars.

The 2-3 that are have 60s American stuff or high-dollar new imports. One offered me his spare Stearman for my recently completed 63 Avanti.

Trouble is, the Stearman was a project about 70% done (Fuselage done, overhauled engine, etc). Dollar for dollar, it would have been a great trade, but I'd need to spend another $40k to finish...and I don't need a Stearman.

I'm not a pilot, but I did have a Jaguar as my daily driver, up until a few months ago.

Not exactly a sports car, but Jaguar called it a "Sport Wagon" (05 X-Type wagon). That was actually a rarer car than my Avanti. Only 1600 of them in the US total for the 4 years that they made them. That was a big part of what drew me to buy it. I only saw one other Jag Wag on the road in the 2 years that I owned it.

Most of my pilot friends aren't into cars.

The 2-3 that are have 60s American stuff or high-dollar new imports. One offered me his spare Stearman for my recently completed 63 Avanti.

Trouble is, the Stearman was a project about 70% done (Fuselage done, overhauled engine, etc). Dollar for dollar, it would have been a great trade, but I'd need to spend another $40k to finish...and I don't need a Stearman.

Always wanted a Stearman. Wonder how he'd trade for an 84 with a tricked out 350 with GM TPI ?

Always wanted a Stearman. Wonder how he'd trade for an 84 with a tricked out 350 with GM TPI ?

I don't think so. He was in high school when the 63s came out, so that what he wants. I gave him a ride in mine and he was impressed. This coming from a guy that can can afford any car he wants.

If I had made the trade, my wife would have looked at me like jack and the Beanstock. Trading a freshly restored car for an incomplete plane that I'd have to spend a fortune on completing, insuring and hangaring.

I wouldn't be in the dog house...I'd be in the dog pound. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Private pilot and airplane owner for 40 years. Decided to give it up last year and moved smartly into antique cars. Am now an 'expert' with MGAs and the Studebaker Avanti. Watching eBay I don't think the NYT article has enhanced Avanti interest. Prices and inventory are below where they were earlier this year. I agree that pilots (until retirement) are not generally classic car buffs. It might be noted that the predominant 1960's and 70's airplanes we own are often older than our classic cars.

Edited by dapy

• 1 month later...

HI. New guy here! Corporate Pilot, Avanti owner, owner of 2 Harleys, 1962 Corvette and 32 antique John Deere tractors

Welcome!

What do you fly?

I'd love to find a restored late 50s-early 60s Areo Commander, 310, Beech 18/Twin Bonanza/Travel Air or similar biz-plane of the era to take photos with my Avanti.

You'd end up with the type of shot they used to sell both the cars and planes back in the day. I've always though of the Avanti as the type of car a wealthy private pilot would have had back in the day.

Edited by J Boyle

I've always though of the Avanti as the type of car a wealthy pilot would have had back in the day.

The late Richard Collins, one of the founders of the AOAI, was an airline pilot. I don't know if he was wealthy but his vocation and avocation sure went together.

The late Richard Collins, one of the founders of the AOAI, was an airline pilot. I don't know if he was wealthy but his vocation and avocation sure went together.

I was thinking more of a wealthy private pilot...they kind of guy that owned a nice executive type plane of the day.

But back in the 60s, some airline pilots on the long range routes were fairly wealthy I knew of one that lived in Bevery Hills......plus the Avanti with its aviation influences, certainly fits the image of a airline pilot back then.

• 1 month later...

In 40+ years of airplane ownership and more recently classic cars (to include a 1964 Avanti R2) I have rarely observed general aviation plus antique cars as an avocation.

Welcome!

What do you fly?

I'd love to find a restored late 50s-early 60s Areo Commander, 310, Beech 18/Twin Bonanza/Travel Air or similar biz-plane of the era to take photos with my Avanti.

You'd end up with the type of shot they used to sell both the cars and planes back in the day. I've always though of the Avanti as the type of car a wealthy private pilot would have had back in the day.

Cessna Citation Soveriegn. 6 months old. Still has that "new plane" smell

I think the 310 with the more rakish tail would be the perfect back drop for the Avaniti. Looks fast just sitting there. Didn't SKY KING fly a 320 or 340?

Question is what did he drive?

Don't know what he drove but the first plane was a Cessna "Bamboo Bomber" T-50 I think was the military designation. It was probably the only Wood airplane Cessna ever built. It was wood because Aluminum was reserved for the war effort.

Then he switched to the Cessna 310.

Charlie RQB3921

Welcome Jim. That's quite a herd of restored Deere's you have. What are the model ranges in the herd? I have a son-in-law that farms about 2500 acres with his father in East Central Illinois. Of course all their equipment has to be green. You do know the reason for the green color on Deere's don't you? That's so they can hide in the grass from the big tractors. Of course the other line is that nothing runs like a Deere or smells like a John.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 63 Avanti R-1, a '91 Toyota MR2 and I really want a '59 Silver Hawk.

I don't fly, but am a huge modeler...especially model railroads. I also build model aircraft with the USN PB4Y-2 Privateer being my favorite. That's what I would fly if I could!

Dapy...

Charlie is correct, after the T-50 (the original Cessna designation)/UC-78/AT-17 (military transport and trainer versions)...Sky flew a 310B, N5348A c/n 35548.

Later, the star, Kirby Grant, flew or used a 1960 310D, N6817T for personal appearances. That plane...or one painted like it...was at Oshkosh a couple of years back.

Filming of the Sky King series was completed in the late 50s...long before the 320 flew.But you can imagine Sky trading in a 310 for a 320 since it was turbocharged...all the better for mountain flying.

Still I'd be fun to photograph an Avanti with a 62-64 310/320 or Aero Commander.

Edited by J Boyle