120 MPH

Guest dapy

Guest dapy

My new 1964 R2 (R4888) has a permanent metal tag on the console that reads, "CAUTION-- DO NOT LOWER WINDOWS AT SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 120 M.P.H."

Where did this come from? Anyone else have it? I understand it is not a joke...

I don't know how many cars actually came with that tag from the factory. It's possible someone could have added it later. It comes from some early cars having the rear window sucked out at high speeds due to weak attachment points and the interior pressure created with the windows down. Andy Granatelli wrote that it happened to him.

The rear window brackets were redesigned and strengthened once or twice to keep that from occurring. R4888 is just before the final revision at R4892.

I have only seen that once before, and it was a decal on the inside of the glovebox door on a 1963 R1 Super Hawk.

My new 1964 R2 (R4888) has a permanent metal tag on the console that reads, "CAUTION-- DO NOT LOWER WINDOWS AT SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 120 M.P.H."

Where did this come from? Anyone else have it? I understand it is not a joke...

Can you posy a pciture of it or send me one. Thanks...Mike

Guest dapy

Can you posy a pciture of it or send me one. Thanks...Mike

Mike,

Send me an email so I have your address and will send you the pics.

I'm dap8@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dapy

Mine, R3450, out of SoCal, has a similar tag, but I always assumed it was an owner-added attempt at humor.

jack vines

Apparently it is not a joke at least with Avantis.

At another forum I attend someone posted a sign with the same 120 MPH words which was a popular addition to Volkswagen panels of the same era.

That was a joke...

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth...

My 63 Avanti R-1 (63R-2788) doesn't have it.

Its console is very original, it still has the original owener's name tag on it, so I'd assume it would still be there if it was ever fitted.

Maybe just on R2s?

Edited by J Boyle