vin plate

rfrayser

I have a 63 avanti vin # R4004. went to get vin inspecton in Kansas prior to getting tag. the inspector states the vin plate is not applied properly to body. he states plate should be attached with nails not welded to frame as mine is, anyone else have info on how the vin plate should be attached to the frame?

I believe the VIN plates were riveted, but not with pop rivets. It was a special rivet not available to the public...at east not readily available. You might call Jon Myer at Myer's Studebaker or Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors...they're probably the two most knowledgable guys out there to give you the proper answer.

I believe the VIN plates were riveted, but not with pop rivets. It was a special rivet not available to the public...at east not readily available. You might call Jon Myer at Myer's Studebaker or Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors...they're probably the two most knowledgable guys out there to give you the proper answer.

Mine has two rivets, no welds.

could you post pic's of your vin plate?

could you post pic's of your vin plate?

I have an Avanti II...it doesn't have the VIN plate on the frame but instead on the door pillar. It's on with pop rivets since it was removed for accident repair last year.

• 1 month later...

I have a 63 avanti vin # R4004. went to get vin inspecton in Kansas prior to getting tag. the inspector states the vin plate is not applied properly to body. he states plate should be attached with nails not welded to frame as mine is, anyone else have info on how the vin plate should be attached to the frame?

Oh great! I need to get my '64 inspected and titled in this great state soon. (Just took delivery on 64R5634) Any help or tips appreciated!!!

Oh great! I need to get my '64 inspected and titled in this great state soon. (Just took delivery on 64R5634) Any help or tips appreciated!!!

Mary Anne,

Your car would be properly identified as R5634. "64" is not part of the later ID. The original metal Studebaker ID plate should be on the right frame member facing up when looking down at the left rear of the engine. Probably obscured by years of gunk. Easier to clean it off if car is on a lift. Like to know more about your car. Dave Pyle dap8@comcast.net

I have a photo of my ID that I can email you if interested.