WIRE WHEELS FOR 63 AVANTI- QUESTIONS

DickC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251026217231?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=251026217231&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr#ht_1136wt_66

I'm thinking to buy these wheel but wonder if adapters are made to accomodate the front wheel disks.

Searching for wirewheel adapters yielded lots of adapters for the 4 1/2 " spacing but nothing specific

for disk brake cars. Hopefully some of you forum guys have advice on what and where to find

proper adapters.

Thank you for any help forthcoming.

....Dick Curtis

Avanti 63R2165

http://www.ebay.com/...tr#ht_1136wt_66

I'm thinking to buy these wheel but wonder if adapters are made to accomodate the front wheel disks.

Searching for wirewheel adapters yielded lots of adapters for the 4 1/2 " spacing but nothing specific

for disk brake cars. Hopefully some of you forum guys have advice on what and where to find

proper adapters.

Thank you for any help forthcoming.

....Dick Curtis

Avanti 63R2165

Dick, while there maybe Dunlop adaptors out there, I don't remember if there were adaptors between the rims and a bolt pattern or if the splines were direct on the inner hubs and axles with Jags.

While Dunlop made good wheels, you would probably have better luck looking for a good set of Boranni's. These were made with a proper adaptor but there were several different adaptors made to allow the same wheel to fit different cars. If the seller can show that the wheels came from an Avanti, you're good to go. A second choice would be the Dayton wheels, they were available either as knock off or bolt up, again, a good quality wheel.

Any of the wheels mentioned can be rebuilt but the price can run well over a grand just for new stainless spokes, stainless nipples and labour to lace and true. That is not including re-plating of hubs and rims.

That car does look the treat with wires on it though!

Best of luck,

Ken Buchanan

www.buchananspokes.com

No, Dunlop adapters won't fit the Jaguar wheels. Those I have use a serrated hub rather than splines.

I did the same conversion to Jaguar wheels more than thirty years ago. IIRC, the key was getting the hubs from a Jaguar sedan which came with the same Salisbury/Dana 44 rear axle. The rear hubs, including the rear disc brakes, bolted right on. The master cylinder had to a dual disc unit.

Since Jaguar always used front disc brakes, there was no problem there, but I can't remember what was necessary to fit the Jaguar front hubs to the Avanti spindle. Wasn't too big a deal as I did it without a machine shop.

Bottom line - the wheels are the easy half. Rounding up the correct hubs and knockoffs will cost at least as much as the wheels. Makes a nice project when done, though. The Jaguar hub, knockoffs, steel wheels with tubes and flaps are much heavier than aftermarket aluminum wheels and tubeless tires, so you'll notice some ride deterioration from the additional unsprung weight.

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

Thanks Ken and Jack for the info on fitting the Jaguar wheels. There are several on line

vendors that sell 'Universal" adapters with the 4.5" spacing. I guess I would need to add

spacers for the front brake disk clearance.

....Dick