50th birthday

avantifred

rolleyes.gifHey Avantiacs... The Avanti was released to the Studebaker shareholders and to the New York Auto Show today......that is 50 years ago today. I was awaiting the arrival of my senior drivers license in New York that day. So....my friends and I rode our bicycles to the Merrick, Long Island dealership. I loved the car, but the price !! All I could say was,"$5,000 and the white wall tires are extra?!"

Every time I look at my '64 R2......I remember that day, 50 years ago today.....

rolleyes.gifHey Avantiacs... The Avanti was released to the Studebaker shareholders and to the New York Auto Show today......that is 50 years ago today. I was awaiting the arrival of my senior drivers license in New York that day. So....my friends and I rode our bicycles to the Merrick, Long Island dealership. I loved the car, but the price !! All I could say was,"$5,000 and the white wall tires are extra?!"

Every time I look at my '64 R2......I remember that day, 50 years ago today.....

Thank you very much for posting this 50 year day in history. I am new to Avanti, just bought mine a few months ago. But, I can remember seeing the first one at the county fair as a kid and thinking 'how do I get from a big John Deere 'R' to an Avanti'.

Thanks again

Joe

Edited by Devildog

Boy this sounds familiar, I was only 15 in 1963 and rode my bicycle to the Avanti Dealer . After about 4 hours there the salesman finally gave me a Brochure, which I still have today. "Only" 47 years later I bought my first Avanti, I think that salesman Died a long time ago.

Thanks so much for the Birthday reminder. I have a 1964R2 that is fully restored and repaired after 2 idiots ran into me while texting & driving. I have taken a 1St in class in a ConcoursD'Elegance in Oct of last year. At least twice a month I drive from my home in NJ to my office in NYC; about 60 miles. The smiles,waves and photo videos are a birthday everytime I drive. Thanks Mark