Stripped hole repair

Jerry A 2

I just fixed a similar problem on the pull strap on my '70. What I did was take a piece of flat metal plate and rivet it to the fiberglass. It's covered by the upholstered door panel. Then I drilled out the appropriate size hole for the screw. It works fine.

All you probably need is a piece of 1/16" or 1/8" plate about an inch or two rectangular and some pop rivets. As I said the upholstered door panel covers it and no one will know.

Anyone have an Easy fix for stripped holes in fiberglass where inside door panel screws on ?

Thanks, Jerry

Thanks for the quick response. The metal plate sounds good.

I talked to a guy at a car show today who said he had good luck with Epoxy Putty. Have you ever tried it on fiberglass ?

Thanks, Jerry

I never tried that. Glassing over the hole would probably be the "professional" way to fix the problem, but the metal plate is much faster and much less messy...plus it can't be seen unless the upholstered door panel is removed.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have an Easy fix for stripped holes in fiberglass where inside door panel screws on ?

Thanks, Jerry

I use Plastic Wall Anchors, you can use the orginal screw. They are available at any hardware store.

http://0.tqn.com/d/homerepair/1/0/6/4/-/-/plastic_anchor.jpg

Jim Wood

That is so freakin' simple! I guess if you think outside the box you can use non-automotive solutions to automotive problems! And I have plenty of those hollow wall anchors in the house!

Kudos for such a great solution!

• 3 weeks later...

I use Plastic Wall Anchors, you can use the orginal screw. They are available at any hardware store.

http://0.tqn.com/d/h...stic_anchor.jpg

Jim Wood

Jim, The plastic wall anchor solution" IS" the Quick & Easy fix.....THANKS, Jerry