Carburator Hood Clearance Issue

tgipe

Does anyone have any information regarding hood clearance on installing a 350 SBC in a 1983 Avanti? The engine is: Jeg's #8009-10067343K1 or K2. These engines have Edelbrock carbs mounted to an Edelbrock manifold.

Dimensionally a small block Chevy is a small block Chevy. It doesn't matter if it's a 283, 305, 350, 400 or any other of the many displacements it came in. You have no difference in how it mounts. Different thickness motor mounts can make the engine sit the same, higher or lower, though.

As far as the carburetor and intake goes, the Edelbrock carb is an improved clone of the Carter AFB which early Avanti II's were equipped with (not to say Studebaker Avanti's, but that's a different engine), so the carb would make no difference.

The intake though...could make a difference. Some intakes are higher than others and that can cause clearance problems...some can be solved with a drop base air cleaner or some other creative air cleaner designs. I don't know which intake that crate engine comes equipped with...a Performer or Performer EPS should work fine. The Edelbrock RPM or RPM Air Gap intakes may cause clearance issues but I can't say for sure...every car is slightly different than the others.

Depending on the combination of motor mounts, intake, etc., you could have no problem with hood clearance or you may have to use a different air cleaner. Unless you use an intake that is a high rise type or a too-tall air cleaner, you should have little to no issues with hood clearance.

Edited by Gunslinger

Gunslinger has covered it quite well. An SBC is an SBC and an Avanti II is an Avanti II.

I have an 83 with a Pro Products dual plane manifold and an Edelbrock carb fit with about 1" of clearance above the 83 low profile stock air cleaner.

I can get any measurements you may want but it could take a day or two.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

The clearance between the top of the air cleaner and the bottom of the hood can be easily checked with 1-inch cubes of modeling clay. Place them on top of the air cleaner and cover with saran wrap to keep them from sticking to any hood insulation. Close the hood carefully. Open and see how thick the clay is. The clearance on my '82 is so small that the hood insulation has polished the paint off the high points of the air cleaner.

RayK

img026.jpg?t=1334099797

70 Avanti II

383 aluminum head stroker sbc w/ med. rise aluminum manifold. Crate engine from General Motors with their manifold.

Barry Grant 850.

Speedway 1950 Cadillac ambulance aircleaner.

Though we did have to modify the base to allow the aircleaner to drop down about 1 inch, and a modification to the back so it would clear the HEI distributor.

And I am not running any insulation on the underneath side of the hood - the paint is too exceptional to hide.

PA

Edited by profaqualung