Crate Engine I.D.

Ray K.

A GM crate 350 was installed in my '82 by the previous owner, maybe about 6-8 years ago. Is there a serial number or other identification stamped on the engine that can be used to verify the build date of the engine?

• 2 months later...

ID # is stamped on a flat boss behind the alternator.

I found the following stamped on the boss behind the alternator:

(Top line) : M0830

(Bottom line) : 4VP

Does this make sense? Was the engine made in Mexico on August 30? Any indication of year?

Thanks for your help.

RayK

Edited by Ray K.

M - GM of Mexico

08 - August

30 - 30th day of the month

4 - 1994 (or maybe 2004)

VP - 350/260hp engine

If it's painted blue, it's a GM Targetmaster engine...if it's painted black, it's a Goodwrench engine. No real difference beyond that and names for marketing purposes. The Targetmaster is an older name so that would more likely be a 1994 casting date and a Goodwrench engine would more likely be a 2004 casting date.

Decoding engines is often difficult and codes are often reused at different times, so that information needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Many might complain about the Mexican origin but they're quality engines and supposedly have higher nickel content than US made engines were. The hi-performance ZZ4 and other crate engines all come from GM's Mexican foundry...as do many of the current LS engines. They're all GM...just in a GM plant located in Mexico made by GM employees to GM quality control standards.

Thanks for the information, Gunslinger. I bought my car in 2007. Part of the literature package included a "GM Goodwrench Service Replacement Engine Limited Warranty", dated "11/1/93". The engine is black, and had a "Goodwrench" sticker on one of the rocker covers. If this is a 2004 engine, then a previous owner must have blown up the engine installed in '93.

Ray