Distributor

davepink53

Hi all. My '71 350ci is equipt with points and condencer but I would like to change it to a HEI unit. is it a simple change? I am not sure about the ingnition wires etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave...

Hi all. My '71 350ci is equipt with points and condencer but I would like to change it to a HEI unit. is it a simple change? I am not sure about the ingnition wires etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave...

Dave

Quite straight forward. The SBC HEI large cap dissy with the coil in the cap will drop right in. Two things you will need to do. Run a heavy 12 volt wire (12 ga min) to the Batt terminal on the distributor that is on when the ignition is on for power. You will also need to change the cap ends on the plug wires or replace them.

There are a lot of reasonably priced after market units if a good GM unit is not available. Just add the 12 volt wire, plug in the vacuum advance and change the plug wires. Good to go.

Bob

Dave

Quite straight forward. The SBC HEI large cap dissy with the coil in the cap will drop right in. Two things you will need to do. Run a heavy 12 volt wire (12 ga min) to the Batt terminal on the distributor that is on when the ignition is on for power. You will also need to change the cap ends on the plug wires or replace them.

There are a lot of reasonably priced after market units if a good GM unit is not available. Just add the 12 volt wire, plug in the vacuum advance and change the plug wires. Good to go.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Guess that I had better buy me one.

Dave.