Upcoming Loewy-owned Avanti auction

lschuc

For those interested in expanding their Studebaker or Avanti collection, a 1963 R2 Avanti originally owned by designer Raymond Loewy, is coming up for auction, Sunday, Dec. 11, 2011 at the Los Angeles Modern Auctions, 16145 Hart St. Van Nuys, CA 91406.

This Avanti is 63R-3422, an R2/Automatic automobile. More information is available in the following link:

LA Modern Auctions

post-2-1322528990999_thumb.jpg

For those interested in expanding their Studebaker or Avanti collection, a 1963 R2 Avanti originally owned by designer Raymond Loewy, is coming up for auction, Sunday, Dec. 11, 2011 at the Los Angeles Modern Auctions, 16145 Hart St. Van Nuys, CA 91406.

This Avanti is 63R-3422, an R2/Automatic automobile. More information is available in the following link:

LA Modern Auctions

post-2-1322528990999_thumb.jpg

Excellent venue, hope it exceeds their estimate, and goes to a person outside the Studebaker fraternity.

Hello and thanks a lot for this information !

My name is Daniel Chouin, I live close to Paris, in France and I am the owner of the other personal Loewy's 1963 R2 Avanti.

I've heard of the californian car by Bob Johnstone and Jon Myer and I am very happy to learn it's still in its original condition.

I bought my car 3 years ago to a man who lives in Alsace (east of France).

He is now 87 years old and was the second owner of this Avanti he bought to the french Studebaker dealer in Paris, Ets Dujardin, at the beginning of 1965.

The restoration of this car is still in progress and you can see some pictures my mechanic and I took of his job :

Behind the actual license plate is still the french temporary license plate "TTA". Loewy probably first used the car in New York (I have found a card of the New York Athletic Club on 110 Central park where Loewy was resident...) and shipped it to Paris where he had his french office, the Compagnie de l'Esthétique Industrielle.

The Californian car is #3422 and mine is #4578. They are very similar with a two colors painting (beige + white top), a Cadillac "V" on the nose, plates on each front fender (with writing "Carrosserie dessinée par Raymond Loewy") and a plate on the dashboard (with a different text on each car).

As you see I am very interested in the "little" story of these cars and would be very excited to fly to LA next week and see #3422 in detail...!!!

It's a lot of money and changes in my plans but as a professionnal classic car photographer, I could plan one or two shootings with cars in LA (like AVX, Cafaro or Kelly Avanti... or any other cars we never see in France...).

Cars in good and "like original" condition welcome !

I would also be very happy to meet other Avanti owners / AOAI member.

Daniel

AOAI member # 032477C

post-8912-13228487135082_thumb.jpg