Radiator Hoses

Project Avanti

Need help finding the upper radiator hose for a '64 Avanti. Found a Dayco 70623 fits very well on the bottom, and the upper hose on my '63 R2 seems to fit,

but it has no number to ID it with and I cannot find a match at the local flaps. If you have a recent replacement I would appreciate help with the number

and brand. Thanks

According to Bob Johnstone's website (Bob is a truly under appreciated asset to us), a Gates 20711 or Goodyear 61321 hose will work. There is a note that both require trimming which is small matter. If you can't find a Gates or Goodyear suppler try a cross-referance chart to another brand. I checked NAPAonline and it interchanges with a NAPA NBH 8643.

According to Bob Johnstone's website (Bob is a truly under appreciated asset to us), a Gates 20711 or Goodyear 61321 hose will work. There is a note that both require trimming which is small matter. If you can't find a Gates or Goodyear suppler try a cross-referance chart to another brand. I checked NAPAonline and it interchanges with a NAPA NBH 8643.

Thanks Gunslinger, I always try Bob's site when I'm looking for a part. Unfortunately not all the information on his

site has been checked for accuracy. The Goodyear 61321 isn't even close, the NAPA 8643 is to small, inside diameter,

and haven't checked the gates although crossing it to Dayco gives a hose that is also to small ID.

Studebaker International carries the upper hose for $19.00. That seems to be the best way to go and you'l know it fits. I have no idea who their source for hoses is but at least it's the correct hose.

Studebaker International carries the upper hose for $19.00. That seems to be the best way to go and you'l know it fits. I have no idea who their source for hoses is but at least it's the correct hose.

Thanks again Gunslinger, I had hoped to find a hose that is commonly available at a local flaps, for obvious reasons.

I received the hose, along with a set of valve cover gaskets from Stude Rich 2 days after starting this topic.

It would be nice to be able to get same day service in the event of an emergency, so I am still hoping for a hose

that is readily available, if anyone knows of one. Thanks

Is there any manufacturers mark or part number on the hose? If so, maybe you can cross it to a brand carried locally. NAPAonline has a function where you enter in another makers part number and it comes up with interchanges for any part they carry with that number...even if not a hose. Even if it was available that way, I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be ordered.

Sometimes, it just pays to keep a spare "just in case".

Thanks again Gunslinger, I had hoped to find a hose that is commonly available at a local flaps, for obvious reasons.

I received the hose, along with a set of valve cover gaskets from Stude Rich 2 days after starting this topic.

It would be nice to be able to get same day service in the event of an emergency, so I am still hoping for a hose

that is readily available, if anyone knows of one. Thanks

It's been said before but when all else fails, take the hose to your local FLAPS, match the hose to there current inventory (You may need to buy a longer hose to get the correct bends and cut it or add a Gates bushing to reduce a size) but you'll have a hose that looks stock and you'll also have a number to use in the future. That has worked for me on many occasions. Luckily, we still have couple of local stores that let me prowl to find stuff like this.

Bob

Is there any manufacturers mark or part number on the hose? If so, maybe you can cross it to a brand carried locally. NAPAonline has a function where you enter in another makers part number and it comes up with interchanges for any part they carry with that number...even if not a hose. Even if it was available that way, I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be ordered.

Sometimes, it just pays to keep a spare "just in case".

Hi Gunslinger, and thanks for the response. I don't know about SI but the hose from Stude Rich has NO names or

numbers, an anonymous hose with ends that look like they were cut by hand. I'm not giving up but I do believe

you're right, always carry a spare.

Edited by Project Avanti

It's been said before but when all else fails, take the hose to your local FLAPS, match the hose to there current inventory (You may need to buy a longer hose to get the correct bends and cut it or add a Gates bushing to reduce a size) but you'll have a hose that looks stock and you'll also have a number to use in the future. That has worked for me on many occasions. Luckily, we still have couple of local stores that let me prowl to find stuff like this.

Bob

Hi Bob, and thanks for the response. The employees at my local flaps try to hide when they see me coming. I don't

know whether it's me or my car. Anyway, good suggestions, I will continue to look for a hose that fits.

Need help finding the upper radiator hose for a '64 Avanti. Found a Dayco 70623 fits very well on the bottom, and the upper hose on my '63 R2 seems to fit,

but it has no number to ID it with and I cannot find a match at the local flaps. If you have a recent replacement I would appreciate help with the number

and brand. Thanks

When I rebuilt my 64R2, I ordered all new belts and hoses from Dave Thibeault from studebaker parts/ service give him a call 978 897 3158 when rebuilding, I changed the pulleys as I added a pair of headers I bought from him too. wow, what a huge difference.........................

Mark