71 Avanti track test

11secAvanti

Not bad a'tall.... pardon my ignorance (or senior memory) if you posted that info before, but what's under the hood? Anything special you did to ready the car for the strip?

Guest Anonymous

Engine is the 71 factory 350 that Avanti Motor Co put in the car. Some say it is the 300 hp motor but I don't know for sure because this is my first Stude with Chevy power. I normally race stude engines. Only changes I have made is the installation of dish pistons (used ones at that) to lower the compression for 87 octane fuel (though I test with 93 to be safe). Cam is a RV cam that gives excellent off throttle response and low rpm pull. That was installed by the previous owner. It idles smooth as silk with no lope. The other change I made was the selection of a Holley 4011 650 cfm carb for the still iron Q-jet intake. I didn't like the slow shift changes of the B/W so I installed a turbo 350 trans which helped the et a lot also. Then I made the rear change because the 3.31 was not a posi and it would not leave without spin. I am thinking a few more tweaks and a carb jet change will get it down to about 14.50. That is in keeping with strong street muscle cars of that time period.