200-r4 in my 67 avanti

avanti0218

I saw that someone had installed a 200-r4 in an older avanti. In my doing so, I wonder if the stock shifter may be modified or do I have to change it out for something else?

any help appreciated. thanks

I converted my 71 Avanti B/W to a turbo 350 and had to modifify the linkage by extending it to reach the transmission selector. Had to add a good 3-4 inches to make it longer. Does that 200R4 have throttle valve control or vacumn modulator control?

Guest Anonymous

Hi- My '83 had a th350 three speed when I purchased it. The 200 is a four speed which is the reason I changed it out. Everything fit fine including the throttle kickdown rod. (there is no vacuum modulator) The rear mount had been butchered, but that was the only problem.

Ok, the lever then from the turbo 350 might reach the 200R4 then if GM put the selector lever on the trans in the same location. The rear of the lever that connects to the shifter itself has some adjustment control to move the lever forward or backwards. I would think you have enough to reach it but you want really know until it is installed.