Mirrors for '84

sat65

The inside mirror on my 84 coupe fell off of the windshield and shattered on the shifter. I looked in the Stude Intl catalog. The Avanti mirror that they have is supposed to fit 63-85, but it is stainless steel, and it says to mount it on your existing post. I don't know if mine is original, but mine is black plastic with a non-removable stem. Is the original mirror black plastic or SS? Anyone know where to get one that looks like the original?

I'd also like to replace the outside mirrors with something close to original, if anone has ideas. Mine vibrate a lot, and the passenger one goes out of adjustment every time I close the door or hit a big bump.

Thanks,

Paul

1984 was about the time Steve Blake made many changes...lots of blacked out trim and parts about that time. It could have anything by that time. You might try Dan and Betty Booth at Nostalgic. They may have the best stock of Blake and later Avanti parts.

Are your outside mirrors chrome? If so, Avanti Motors used mirrors from American Motors. I've seen them on the repro market for AMC parts but they're quite expensive. Good used ones can be found...try some AMC forums and see what you can come up with.

If your car doesn't have the AMC mirrors, I don't have a suggestion besides again...ask Dan Booth.

The inside mirror glass for my '87 was bad, I looked all around for a replacement and couldn't find one so I went down to the local Pull-A-Part and looked in the 80's GM cars until I found one that that was a perfect match down to the mold marks. Cost about 2 bucks and I didn't even have to change the windshield button. Thats if yours is a glue on. :unsure:

Jim Wood

The inside mirror on my 84 coupe fell off of the windshield and shattered on the shifter. I looked in the Stude Intl catalog. The Avanti mirror that they have is supposed to fit 63-85, but it is stainless steel, and it says to mount it on your existing post. I don't know if mine is original, but mine is black plastic with a non-removable stem. Is the original mirror black plastic or SS? Anyone know where to get one that looks like the original?

I'd also like to replace the outside mirrors with something close to original, if anone has ideas. Mine vibrate a lot, and the passenger one goes out of adjustment every time I close the door or hit a big bump.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul

Have you tryed going on ebay and put in... 84 monte carlo rear view mirror in the search box and see if any of those look to be the same as what you have....??

• 3 weeks later...

My 85 has a inside rear view mirror exactly the same as a chrysler of similar vintage. The outside electrically actuated rear view mirrors are from Italy but the US distributor is in Chicago. If you are interested I'll get their name when I get back home in two days. Bob Fouts

Thanks Bob,

I'd appreciate that contact information for the outside mirrors.

(for inside, I bought a reproduction intended for an 80's Monte Carlo. Not exact, but close enough for now. I suppose nobody but me will know the difference, and I'm not even sure that the broken one is the original one anyway)

Paul

Thanks Bob,

I'd appreciate that contact information for the outside mirrors.

(for inside, I bought a reproduction intended for an 80's Monte Carlo. Not exact, but close enough for now. I suppose nobody but me will know the difference, and I'm not even sure that the broken one is the original one anyway)

Paul

OK Here is the deal on the outside electrically operated rear view mirrors on my 85. They are made by Torino Industries whose US operations are in Chicago, 4999west 65th st in Bedford Park IL 660638. When I talked to them in 92 they would sell directly to me either the whole unit or any required parts. You might mention AOAI. My sheet metal cover rusted off and disappeared, a new cover cost $4.00 Their # is 708 4960805. Regards Bob Fouts