Neutral safety switch on 63 4 speed

ken1007

Pulled motor and transmission out of my 63 4 speed, found back light switch control, but can not find any sign of a neurtal safety start switch. I assume their is such a switch but can not find it or any indication of it in the car or in the manual. Did find two connectors in area of the transmisison, one is for the back up light and the other may be to a missing safety switch, but again can not find any reference to it in the manual. Car had not been run since 1977 and has had atleast two motor changes before that. Assume it is not supposed to start in gear, but how is that prevented?

Pulled motor and transmission out of my 63 4 speed, found back light switch control, but can not find any sign of a neurtal safety start switch. I assume their is such a switch but can not find it or any indication of it in the car or in the manual. Did find two connectors in area of the transmisison, one is for the back up light and the other may be to a missing safety switch, but again can not find any reference to it in the manual. Car had not been run since 1977 and has had atleast two motor changes before that. Assume it is not supposed to start in gear, but how is that prevented?

YOU had to make sure the car was in neutral !!

Being as old as i am and having purchased a new (stick shift) car every year back then......that had a "neutral saftey switch" was my new '69 Camaro ( which I quickly removed) So I'm sure that the Avanti didn't have one on any of its standard trans cars !

Please correct me if I'm wrong !

• 3 weeks later...

I

My car left the factory as a 4 speed R2. It has both the loop for the neutral safety switch and the pigtail for the back-up lights.

I assume that all Avanti's had both, and that Avanti's with automatic transmissions actually used the wiring for the N. S. S..

If your car had a standard transmission YOU were responsible for starting it in neutral, or depressing the clutch pedal. Remember.

the car was built almost fifty years ago, people were more self reliant then.

Remember the car was built almost fifty years ago, people were more self reliant then.

Less litigious, too. Still...having a safety lockout for a manual transmission is a good thing.