Looking for a tire

future owner

Coker tires has a variety of classic tires in various name brands and sizes

They List a Firestone 1" wide whitewall in 6.70 X 15" but it isn't cheap.

Here's a link to website with that particular tire ...

My link

Thank you for the info. I have already ordered those tires but I would like an original spare tire, NON DOT as my car is mostly untouched, the onlything missing is the spare tire

Got the chance to see a brand new Coker reproduction of the Firestone 6.70x15 whitewall last night. It is 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider at full inflation on orginal Avanti rims than my original tires. In fact, you could not close the spare tire cover even without the jack handle. The tread has 5 center ribs and 2 side ribs vs. the original tires 3 center ribs and 2 side ribs. The whitewall, while being the correct width, is closer to the wheel bead than the original. The rub rail is narrower. The side ribs are farther apart and extend further down the sidewall. The lettering is not the same. On the plus side, the tread is about the same width and it fits a 15" rim.

Pay your money and take your chances, but for my money it's not a very good reproduction.

Got the chance to see a brand new Coker reproduction of the Firestone 6.70x15 whitewall last night. It is 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider at full inflation on orginal Avanti rims than my original tires. In fact, you could not close the spare tire cover even without the jack handle. The tread has 5 center ribs and 2 side ribs vs. the original tires 3 center ribs and 2 side ribs. The whitewall, while being the correct width, is closer to the wheel bead than the original. The rub rail is narrower. The side ribs are farther apart and extend further down the sidewall. The lettering is not the same. On the plus side, the tread is about the same width and it fits a 15" rim.

Pay your money and take your chances, but for my money it's not a very good reproduction.

Thank you, I have not seen an original tire yet so can not compare. It may not be exact but is as close as we can do. Although I am a complete factory original nut, there is no way I would run my car on 50 year old tires. Maybe someday in the future a better reproduction can be made. Thanks again for the informative report. I will make note of it.

The Universal Vintage Tire Co, in Hershey, Penn., also sells these tires, but the pictures on their website look exactly like the tire I got from Coker Tire. As Jim mentions, it is about one inch taller and one inch wider than the original 670-15 tire, and fully inflated, will not fit in the Avanti spare tire well and allow the cover to fit flush with the trunk floor.

I let at least half of the air out of the tire, and was able to put the lid in place correctly, but latching the lid is still a problem.

These tires are now reproduced in China; I saw another Avanti last week with this tire that was purchased from Universal a number of years ago. His tire was a tight fit, but allowed the tire cover to fit flush with the trunk floor. However his spare tire indicated that it was manufactured in the USA!! Apparently the Chinese reproductions are coming from a different mould that is slightly oversize and has different lettering and tread pattern.

Lew

Thank you, I have not seen an original tire yet so can not compare. It may not be exact but is as close as we can do. Although I am a complete factory original nut, there is no way I would run my car on 50 year old tires. Maybe someday in the future a better reproduction can be made. Thanks again for the informative report. I will make note of it.

• 2 weeks later...

a short while back i saw an 'original' '63 tire/wheel sell on eBay for about $850. -- in retrospect for what i paid for my Studebaker wheel & repop Coker tire - that was a deal. wish i had better news.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I am desperately looking for an original Firestone 6.70 x 15 NON DOT spare tire for my Avanti (with the 1" white wall). If anyone has one or knows of one for sale PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Thank you

Greg

Hi Greg, let me know if you are still looking for a tire