The inside of an Avanti body isn't always pretty...

Gunslinger

My '70 was damaged recently and requires a new front quarter panel and drivers door. The shop obtained a NOS panel and excellent used door from Nostalgic and started cutting off the damaged panel and revmoved the door. The inside of the body once it's sawed off isn't exactly a thing of beauty!

post-264-13080913215082_thumb.jpg

My '70 was damaged recently and requires a new front quarter panel and drivers door. The shop obtained a NOS panel and excellent used door from Nostalgic and started cutting off the damaged panel and revmoved the door. The inside of the body once it's sawed off isn't exactly a thing of beauty!

OUCH! On the positive side, NO RUST, EVER!

Best wishes for a speedy repair.

Edited by plwindish

Having had too many issues with my 73 Avanti II and recently with the 64R2 too have seen the damaged insides of both cars. Luck for us, there are good if not great body and paint guys out there that do their job of restoration and repair with pride.

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hopefully you have some more recent pictures, I remember seeing an older photo with some optional fender ornaments, not a missing fender. Wish you the best with your repairs, and a speedy return to the road.

Sometimes it is pretty...

I reomved the back seat from my '84 to wire my new back speakers, and found a Christmas greeting and picture that someone at the factory had drawn in grease pencil, on the gas tank cover behind the back seat.

(see attachment)

post-9301-13154826427828_thumb.jpg

Paul

Hopefully you have some more recent pictures, I remember seeing an older photo with some optional fender ornaments, not a missing fender. Wish you the best with your repairs, and a speedy return to the road.

The body work has been completed and the car is in a speed shop having some other work done...some necessary and some I'm simply taking the opportunity to have done while they have the car. Hopefully I'll have it back before the week is out. I do have more current photos but the car needs a complete cleaning and detailing once it's home. The body shop did a good job of sealing and covering the interior but 5+ months in a body shop makes for a lot of dust that gets into everything...no matter how well covered and taped it is.

I've been asked to write an article for Avanti Magazine after everything has been completed...detailing the events that caused the damage and the repairs. I'll do that but have no idea when it might be published. I'll send photos along with that as well.

Sometimes it is pretty...

I reomved the back seat from my '84 to wire my new back speakers, and found a Christmas greeting and picture that someone at the factory had drawn in grease pencil, on the gas tank cover behind the back seat.

(see attachment)

post-9301-13154826427828_thumb.jpg

Paul

Neat stuff! An extra option not mentioned in the option list! Make sure that never gets cleaned off...it's a nice part of the car's history. Too bad it wasn't signed by the assembly person.

Cars from Detroit don't come with greetings like that...a bottle intentionally left trapped in a fender rolling around maybe...but not a Christmans greeting.

Gunslinger, Please be sure to post the "after" picture, now that it's getting close to completion. Also, seeing the inside of the left fender reminds me of the task I have to replace the left turn signal assembly in my '76. The old signal has one of the mounting screws broken off on the bottom of the mount. I got another signal assembly from S.I. but it did not come with the "j" clips or nuts and washers. I just got the clips from Nostaglic and need to replace the assembly this weekend. The dog-goned assembly has three wires, one white for ground and 2 black, so I guess I will have to id the signal wire and the parking lamp wire. It would have been nice if they had used a red wire and black wire to help id the correct path.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the "after" photos...after the bodywork was completed we discovered the power brake booster was bad. I took the car to the speed shop that installed the engine and transmission and they installed a modern, aftermarket brake booster and Wilwood master cylinder. The brakes work better than ever and have the pedal feel of a modern car...very pleasing to say the least. While the speed shop had the car I had them install an electric fan and eliminate the standard fan and radiator shroud.

The manager of the body shop said he was sorry to see the car go...he liked showing it off to potential customers looking for restoration work.

Here's photos of the completed car at a car show over the weekend...

exterior

brake booster.master cylinder

electric fan

Here's the "after" photos...after the bodywork was completed we discovered the power brake booster was bad. I took the car to the speed shop that installed the engine and transmission and they installed a modern, aftermarket brake booster and Wilwood master cylinder. The brakes work better than ever and have the pedal feel of a modern car...very pleasing to say the least. While the speed shop had the car I had them install an electric fan and eliminate the standard fan and radiator shroud.

The manager of the body shop said he was sorry to see the car go...he liked showing it off to potential customers looking for restoration work.

exterior

electric fan

Bruce

It looks like the body work and paint match are dead on from the photo. Looks like the shop did themselves proud. Again!!! Really Nice car.

What did you use for the electric fan and shroud? I would like to use the same on the 74 in progress.

Bob

What did you use for the electric fan and shroud? I would like to use the same on the 74 in progress.

Bob

The shop installed a Flex-a-Lite 188 Black Magic fan. They fabricated a few brackets to properly mount it and also place rubber seals around the sides to direct all the air flow through the radiator. They said the only area that they had to be extra careful with measurements and installation was at the bottom...the angle of the radiator and the angle the engine sits made clearance tight between the fan shroud and the crank pulley.

The fan moves 3300 cfm per minute. When I drove it to the car show Sunday I really couldn't make it a good test as the temperature was only in the low 70's and it was maybe ten miles from my home. The engine never really had much time to warm up.

exterior

electric fan

[/

quote]

Looks very nice, is the pin stripe new? Congratulations on getting your car back with time to drive it. :D

Edited by Project Avanti

Looks very nice, is the pin stripe new? Congratulations on getting your car back with time to drive it. :D

The car was pinstriped before which had to be removed for repainted. This is a replacement striping job which looks better than the previous one.