83 Wire spoke wheels

63 Avanti R2

Yes, they will. The only possible issue could be if the Studes have compressed coil springs...that might cause some rubbing when hitting a bump as the wire spoke wheels are probably are at least 15"x6" or even 15"x7" rather than the 15"x5" that Studebakers came with. It may be no issue at all...just something to look out for.

Will the stock wire spoke wheels on my 83 Avanti fit on my 63 and 64 Avanti? Is the bolt pattern the same?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Which ones are they, the Daytons or Borannis? If they are the Borannis, check the condition of the adaptors and hubs, the splines are very fine and it is not unusual for the splines to rust away because many people won't grease the splines in an effort to keep the wheels clean. Another thing about the Borannis, they used the same wheel for several different cars, changing the adaptors to not only change bolt pattern but offset (backspacing) as well. That is assuming they are knockoff mounting. If they are bolt up, make certain that they are Daytons and not some other brand with slotted bolt holes. There was a lot of garbage being made but Dayton and Boranni did consistantly make good product.

Kennie B.

Steve,

Which ones are they, the Daytons or Borannis? If they are the Borannis, check the condition of the adaptors and hubs, the splines are very fine and it is not unusual for the splines to rust away because many people won't grease the splines in an effort to keep the wheels clean. Another thing about the Borannis, they used the same wheel for several different cars, changing the adaptors to not only change bolt pattern but offset (backspacing) as well. That is assuming they are knockoff mounting. If they are bolt up, make certain that they are Daytons and not some other brand with slotted bolt holes. There was a lot of garbage being made but Dayton and Boranni did consistantly make good product.

Kennie B.

Thanks Ken...they are Daytons. I have the original Dayton wire wheel spare WW tire and four Dayton wire wheels on WW tires.

They also say not to use a impact wrench on the wheels. Is this true?

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

Thanks Ken...they are Daytons. I have the original Dayton wire wheel spare WW tire and four Dayton wire wheels on WW tires.

I had Dayton wire wheels on my 1979 Avanti. The reason you do not want to use an impact wrench is that the aluminum spacer in the wheel hub can easily crack. Mine did when I was removing the wheel and it poped out and hit the garage floor! The spacer is or can become very brittle.

Edited by White Hawk