Avanti Horn Switch in steering column

Herb Price

It appears the horn switch in my Avanti's steering column has gone bad. It is not the same as used in Larks (#1541949). Looks like it is a bunch of individual parts none of which are available from Studebaker International. What options do I have?

Herb, are you sure it is the switch in the steering wheel? There is just a plate in the wheel itself and the contact point that presses on it when you push on the steering wheel arms. If it is that you can clean, adjust and file the contact. Usually there are two things that fail. One the relay itself, or the wire from the steering wheel to the relay. You can easily check by using a volt meter at the relay. Hope that this helps.

It appears the horn switch in my Avanti's steering column has gone bad. It is not the same as used in Larks (#1541949). Looks like it is a bunch of individual parts none of which are available from Studebaker International. What options do I have?

Try Nostalgia Motors @ 1-800-Avanti1. They are a much better source of Avanti parts that the normal Studebaker suppliers. Dan and Betty Booth can also answer about any question you have about Avanti's. They have a lot of the original Avanti stock.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

• 2 weeks later...

My horn does soemthing odd.

As we all know, the Avanti has two horn "buttons" one on each spoke of the wheel.

On the right side, the horn honks if you push the button. So far so good.

On the left it honks the horn only if you press it from the back...towards the driver.

Weird.

Any suggestions or comments?

It sounds like the left side contacts are dirty, worn or otherwise defective. Pushing the left bar towards the driver tends to push the right side of the bar down and it seems to be the right side contacts being activated. I'd say try and clean up the left side horn contacts and see what happens.