Rebuild Avanti Speedometer

Red63R3

Latest on the Avanti's speedometer failure is - replaced the cable and pinion gear - after 1/2 mile speedometer buzzed, pinned at 160 mph and the needle came off. So - I'm now in the market for a replacement unit or a rebuild shop for the failed speedometer unit - anyone have a suggestion on where to go? Stude Int'l has none.

Thanks Steve

I just had all the gauges on my '76 replaced with new Autometer gauges. If you can't find a replacement speedo, I have the complete '76 set and all (including clock) are working. They are SW gauges black face with white needles, numbers, and markings. The gauges differ from the 63's & 64's in that they do not have the chrome ring that protrudes on the dash side. The ring on these gauges is a thick black rim with a chrome or brushed metal finish on the very outer end. The speedo (160 mph) and tach are 3 & 3/8" while the clock, vacuum, ammeter, fuel, oil, water temp gauges are the standard 2 & 1/16", which should be the same size as your gauges. Speedo is showing just over 61 K (original - 1st time around). Speedo pix is attached.

I just had all the gauges on my '76 replaced with new Autometer gauges. If you can't find a replacement speedo, I have the complete '76 set and all (including clock) are working. They are SW gauges black face with white needles, numbers, and markings. The gauges differ from the 63's & 64's in that they do not have the chrome ring that protrudes on the dash side. The ring on these gauges is a thick black rim with a chrome or brushed metal finish on the very outer end. The speedo (160 mph) and tach are 3 & 3/8" while the clock, vacuum, ammeter, fuel, oil, water temp gauges are the standard 2 & 1/16", which should be the same size as your gauges. Speedo is showing just over 61 K (original - 1st time around). Speedo pix is attached.

The speedometer from your '76 doesn't have the hi-beam indicator built-in like an original does. Early Avanti II's used the same gauges as the Stude versions but I don't know at exactly what point the change was made. My '70 came equipped with Stewart-Warner gauges with the hi-beam indicator in the instrument inlay, not in the speedometer, so the gauge change was made prior to that.

I would check with Jon Myer or Nostalgic about a replacement speedometer or information for a vendor who rebuilds them. A web search for rebuilders might turn up something as well as looking through a copy of Hemmings Motors News.

Thanks Gunslinger as always - e mailed Jon and waiting for a reply - Nostalgic good idea too. Nothing on Hemming's I can find - hope Jon can

rebuild the unit. Want to stay absolutely as original as I can. Steve

I had my original 1964 clock & tach rebuilt by "D & M Restorations", Greenville , SC THEY WERE FANTASTIC !!

Jon recommended Williamson's Instruments in Chester AR - contacted them and got a reply immediately - very fair price for a rebuild. Waiting on the rebuilt unit to return. Thanks all