Have to rant a bit...

Gunslinger

Yesterday my '70 was damaged...it was quite upsetting to say the least. I was about to leave for its first cruise-in of the season...when I put it in reverse the brakes failed! The pedal went right to the floor and the car took off backwards.

The rub...I have a bad habit of getting in the car, strapping in and starting the car before I close the drivers door. I was unable to pull the door closed fast enough before it hit the wall and peel the door all the way around to the front quarter panel. The sound of fiberglass splitting and cracking is not a pleasant one and it all seemed to go in slow motion though it happened very fast.

I pulled the parking brake...no help. The only way I got the car to stop was to simply turn the switch off and let it stop rolling.

I think I was making up swear words when I got out of the car and surveyed the destruction. The door itself appears ok, but the front quarter panel and inside supports and the hinges look like they all need replacement. I was so upset I considered taking the insurance payment and just selling the car for what I could get, but after cooling off I realized it's repairable. Just part of life...as my wife said it could have happened when on the road.

I don't know if it will be repaired in time for the AOAI meet in Gettysburg in July...hopefully it will be, but it's more important to be repaired properly than quickly.

If only I had closed the door first! That bad habit is now broken!

Yesterday my '70 was damaged...it was quite upsetting to say the least. I was about to leave for its first cruise-in of the season...when I put it in reverse the brakes failed! The pedal went right to the floor and the car took off backwards.

The rub...I have a bad habit of getting in the car, strapping in and starting the car before I close the drivers door. I was unable to pull the door closed fast enough before it hit the wall and peel the door all the way around to the front quarter panel. The sound of fiberglass splitting and cracking is not a pleasant one and it all seemed to go in slow motion though it happened very fast.

I pulled the parking brake...no help. The only way I got the car to stop was to simply turn the switch off and let it stop rolling.

I think I was making up swear words when I got out of the car and surveyed the destruction. The door itself appears ok, but the front quarter panel and inside supports and the hinges look like they all need replacement. I was so upset I considered taking the insurance payment and just selling the car for what I could get, but after cooling off I realized it's repairable. Just part of life...as my wife said it could have happened when on the road.

I don't know if it will be repaired in time for the AOAI meet in Gettysburg in July...hopefully it will be, but it's more important to be repaired properly than quickly.

Sorry to hear that Gun-S. If it makes you feel any better - someone ALMOST backed-in to me as I was pulling out the of grocery store parking lot yesterday! Fortunately I reached the horn in time and it WORKED! Anything can happen / any day.

Bruce

I'm sorry to hear about the damage. It has to be a terrible feeling when you go back and look at it later. In situations like that in the past, I generally start mentally kicking my own arse when I visit the scene of the crime.

Glad none of your parts were in the way.

It will be interesting to see the final forensics on no brakes with a dual M/C system. Secondly, could you cover how you found a body shop when you do. I'm curious if you look for vette shops or what other criteria is important.

Bob

Bob...I know what happened with the brakes...or at least am sure of the problem.

I had been having a problem with my tail lights...they were staying on very dimly and running down the battery. It turned out the hydraulic stoplight switch had gone bad. I installed a mechanical stoplight switch under the dash and decided to eliminate the hydraulic switch under the hood. I could have simply pulled the wires from the hydraulic switch and taped them off...but noooo...I had to be thorough. I removed the switch and installed a bolt in its place. Removing the switch allowed some brake fluid to leak out....not a huge amount but some did leak. After installed the bolt with Locktite, I added brake fluid to the master cylinder. Again...not a lot but brought the level of that chamber to where it should be. I tested the brake pedal...seemed normal. Apparently a lot of air must have entered the system, but as I said, the pedal seemed normal.

It's been about a week since then and when I started the car...that's when the pedal went to the floor. All I can guess is there's so much air in the lines the brakes were useless. If I hadn't tried out the pedal when first having done it, it's possible I could have been driving when they failed, rather than in the garage...who knows?

If I had only closed the door first I would have had the car stopped like I did in the driveway by turning off the switch and could have had the car taken on a flat bed to a repair shop for bleeding the brakes to make sure that's what happened. Again...if only.

As far as repairs, I'll probably have the shop that rebuilt the car for me several years ago do the work. I know the owner and they specialize in Corvettes so they know their way around fiberglass. They replaced the other front quarter panel then so it shouldn't be a problem to do the other. My biggest concern is paint matching...it''s a pearlescent paint and that can be tough to match. It's gotta get done. I'll know more after talking to the insurance adjusters.

Bob...I know what happened with the brakes...or at least am sure of the problem.

I had been having a problem with my tail lights...they were staying on very dimly and running down the battery. It turned out the hydraulic stoplight switch had gone bad. I installed a mechanical stoplight switch under the dash and decided to eliminate the hydraulic switch under the hood. I could have simply pulled the wires from the hydraulic switch and taped them off...but noooo...I had to be thorough. I removed the switch and installed a bolt in its place. Removing the switch allowed some brake fluid to leak out....not a huge amount but some did leak. After installed the bolt with Locktite, I added brake fluid to the master cylinder. Again...not a lot but brought the level of that chamber to where it should be. I tested the brake pedal...seemed normal. Apparently a lot of air must have entered the system, but as I said, the pedal seemed normal.

It's been about a week since then and when I started the car...that's when the pedal went to the floor. All I can guess is there's so much air in the lines the brakes were useless. If I hadn't tried out the pedal when first having done it, it's possible I could have been driving when they failed, rather than in the garage...who knows?

If I had only closed the door first I would have had the car stopped like I did in the driveway by turning off the switch and could have had the car taken on a flat bed to a repair shop for bleeding the brakes to make sure that's what happened. Again...if only.

As far as repairs, I'll probably have the shop that rebuilt the car for me several years ago do the work. I know the owner and they specialize in Corvettes so they know their way around fiberglass. They replaced the other front quarter panel then so it shouldn't be a problem to do the other. My biggest concern is paint matching...it''s a pearlescent paint and that can be tough to match. It's gotta get done. I'll know more after talking to the insurance adjusters.

Soooooo, you're not going to Maaco :lol:

Gunslinger,

Really sorry to hear about the door. It really bites that the only one to blame is yourself. Hopefully the repairs won't take too long or cost too much $$$$$.

Gunslinger, I can certainly appreciate what you feel. As you remember my very restored 73 was involved in a transport accident. Then I bought a 64 R2 and did a full & expensive restoration only to be rear ended by a women driving with her knee, putting on makeup and talking on the cellphone. Oh yea, no insurance. 13 months later I got the car back; I paid as the insurance company I had failed. A few months later while driving to a Studebaker Car Club Holiday party and sitting in traffic; all 4 lanes were stopped, only to be rear ended again by another idiot; at least this idiot had insurance. So my friend, I for one can really cry with you. Glad you were not hurt. Mark