1987 Monte Carlo Frame

lftrn97

I am glad you brought up this topic, I have wondered for a long time if anyone has ever tried to adapt an older (63-64) avanti to a monte carlo frame if that is even possible. what are the differences in the fiberglass bodies from one frame to another. there are so many issues and reports about an avanti with a rusted frame or rusted hog troughs being considered "parts" cars, pretty soon there wont be any cars left to need parts for. If anyone has answers to this I would appreciate hearing from you.

There are no hog trough issues with the Monte Frame. 'G' bodies with that frame had rust issues on the rear rails and at the spots where the body mounts meet the frame.

When I had my 88 I had the opportunity to compare it to the '64 and there are changes to the body to adapt it to the frame and re-installing the chrome bumpers would be a real challenge.

It would be much easier to replace the hog troughs than to adapt the Stude body to the Monte frame.

ErnieR

There are no hog trough issues with the Monte Frame. 'G' bodies with that frame had rust issues on the rear rails and at the spots where the body mounts meet the frame.

When I had my 88 I had the opportunity to compare it to the '64 and there are changes to the body to adapt it to the frame and re-installing the chrome bumpers would be a real challenge.

It would be much easier to replace the hog troughs than to adapt the Stude body to the Monte frame.

ErnieR

Jon Myer talked about this in the magazine some time ago. They changed the floor pan so as to adapt to the GM frame.

One of our members in New Zealand had to do a 'body off' on an '88 when he discovered a majority of body mounts missing. There is a rather convoluted steel piece (right & left) that goes from behind the front tires to in front of the rear tires and is mounted to the body. As I recall, the actual body mounts go between these metal supports and the frame. They have a tendency to RUST. If you want to see the front section - remove the front wheel (I removed the passenger side which also happens to have the air intake for the HVAC)fender liner and you will clearly see the front section that is riveted to the body.

Ernie

any chance you would know where I could get a copy of that article?

Jon Myer talked about this in the magazine some time ago. They changed the floor pan so as to adapt to the GM frame.

One of our members in New Zealand had to do a 'body off' on an '88 when he discovered a majority of body mounts missing. There is a rather convoluted steel piece (right & left) that goes from behind the front tires to in front of the rear tires and is mounted to the body. As I recall, the actual body mounts go between these metal supports and the frame. They have a tendency to RUST. If you want to see the front section - remove the front wheel (I removed the passenger side which also happens to have the air intake for the HVAC)fender liner and you will clearly see the front section that is riveted to the body.

Ernie

any chance you would know where I could get a copy of that article?

It's in issue 152 of the AOAI magazine...the Fall/Winter 2010 edition. Look for "Q&A With Jon Myers"...his regular column.