Windshield Molding

avantidavid

I have a 1988 Avanti Convert and I'm looking for the windshield chrome molding.. any help on where to find..?? Thanks

Stude Intl has the 'A' Pillar Stainless covers. Nostalgic has the rest (not sure if the 'top' moulding is the same for a convertible}.

Stude Intl has the 'A' Pillar Stainless covers. Nostalgic has the rest (not sure if the 'top' moulding is the same for a convertible}.

Thanks for the info. The reason I'm asking is I took my car into speedy auto glass to have my windshield replaced and they said they did want to work on it because Avanti motors used lots of silicone on the sides and behind the windshield molding. The installer told me when he got hired 5 yrs ago he had to sign a contract that stated any damage he did to a car like bend a piece of chrome trying to take it off he was responsible for half the damage and it would come right out of his check. So he was afraid to attempt trying to take the chrome off the car. So now I want a spare windhsield molding set handy so when I take it to another shop and the chrome does get bent I already have a replacement. My car(1988 convert) also came with the black-out option so even when I get the Windshield molding replacement set I will have to get it painted.. You would think that an experience glass shop would have the means or no-how on how to get the chrome off even if it is siliconed. anyone else ever have any problems with getting the windshield chrome off..??

Thanks for the info. The reason I'm asking is I took my car into speedy auto glass to have my windshield replaced and they said they did want to work on it because Avanti motors used lots of silicone on the sides and behind the windshield molding. The installer told me when he got hired 5 yrs ago he had to sign a contract that stated any damage he did to a car like bend a piece of chrome trying to take it off he was responsible for half the damage and it would come right out of his check. So he was afraid to attempt trying to take the chrome off the car. So now I want a spare windhsield molding set handy so when I take it to another shop and the chrome does get bent I already have a replacement. My car(1988 convert) also came with the black-out option so even when I get the Windshield molding replacement set I will have to get it painted.. You would think that an experience glass shop would have the means or no-how on how to get the chrome off even if it is siliconed. anyone else ever have any problems with getting the windshield chrome off..??

I take it you 'haven't' replaced the windshield as yet. You should definitely get the original Studebaker manuals (also on CD) which describe in detail the removal procedure. Also, others have written on this subject here and in past magazine articles (there is a CD on that as well).

I'm just going to say this windshield design (although I'm no expert) is not 'normal'. The large stainless 'A' pillar covers are just that - covers - covering-up a very messy windshield opening. On 'normal' vehicles the actual 'A' pillar is EXPOSED. On ours the steel 'A' pillar is covered-up by the stainless or blacked-out side moldings, and they cover-up a vast area filled with voids (the kind that love water). So, a normal old-fashioned windshield with chrome moldings would simply be installed in the opening, but the moldings are installed AFTER the glass is in place and end of story (those moldings had clips that fastened to the windshield frame (fence).

Except for the 'side' moldings, you shouldn't have any problems since the top and bottom moldings are placed on the windshield BEFORE installation. The side moldings DO actually serve another purpose, other than as 'covers' - they also complete the attachment process by sliding into the top and bottom moldings and then these side moldings are themselves fastened to the 'A' pillar. To start with you must remove the rubber weatherstrip on the 'A' pillar (front of door opening) in order to expose the 5 or 6 screws that fasten the covers (along with the drip rail). Chances are underneath these covers you will find (once you manage to get them off) a whole lot of adhesive material as well as filler material. These side covers were never meant to actually SEAL the car from water by themselves.

So the 'A' pillars are made of steel that is not meant to be exposed as almost every other vehicle. They are covered and often the covers hide the fact that the steel 'A' pillars underneath are badly rusted. Cafaro changed these to Kevlar on the '90 4 doors.

In conclusion, I would only allow a windhield repair company familiar with the Avanti do the job. And don't forget to buy/get the rubber seal that goes around the glass.

Bill