Serial Numbers

opeltwinturbo

I have a 63 with a VIN 63R2961. The best I have been able to do so far is identify the month it was manufactured. The fender tag reads: 63 RQ 2104. Is this a body SN? If so, does it break down to a paint code? How are these numbers related to R1 - R4? This is supposed to be an R2 car. It does have the 4 speed. Any information would be helpful. We have just started the disassembly process. I can see a few more gray hairs from this project !!!!! :huh: Thanks.

post-3210-13010818661711_thumb.jpg

The fender or cowl tag is the body number...it has no relation to the frame serial number, which is the VIN. Very early cars might have had matching body and serial numbers, but that went out the window when a car with Serial X was specified to get a body painted a particular color so they dropped body number Y on it...after that all numbers didn't match, nor were they intended to. The body number tag has no more information than its sequence of manufacture.

The best thing you can do is get a copy of your car's build sheet...it tells you all you need to know how your car was original built by the factory...engine number, body color, options, tires, etc. You can get a build sheet copy from the Studebaker National Museum or Nostalgic Motors. They run something like $25-$30 and are well worth having. A car with your serial number would have to have been either an R1 or R2 from the assembly line. There were no R4's factory installed and only nine factory installed R3's...and those were very late in the production run.

If you haven't already, get copies of the Avanti shop and parts manuals...worth their weight by any standard. They're often available on Ebay in original form or as reprints from Studebaker International...in binder form as well as on CD.

Welcome to the Avanti world...lots of help here for you...we all have grey hair from it as well!

That car was on e-bay. The photos of the motor indicate it is a R1...there is no S/C.

Maybe it was converted from a R2. Also the brakes have been upgraded to a dual master cyclinder. The wheels should be white and the steering wheel is not stock. There is a "supercharger" emblem on the lower fender which is incorrect. Did you get this car in Van Nuys CA?

Check the engine number...if it starts with RS- it is/was a supercharged engine. If it starts with R- it was built as an R1.. Not sure but some might have a JT- or JTS- number. "JT" is for Jet-Thrust. "JTS" is for Jet-Thrust Supercharged.

If it doesn't have any of those numbers, it's not an Avanti engine originally. If it is or was a supercharged engine by the number, the only way you'll know if it's original to the car is by obtaining the build sheet.

That car was on e-bay. The photos of the motor indicate it is a R1...there is no S/C.

Maybe it was converted from a R2. Also the brakes have been upgraded to a dual master cyclinder. The wheels should be white and the steering wheel is not stock. There is a "supercharger" emblem on the lower fender which is incorrect. Did you get this car in Van Nuys CA?

Yes, I bought this car from ebay in early 07. It came from Van Nuys and was described as an R2 but the supercharger had been taken off. The spare tire wheel is white. As with most things bought and sold on ebay it was not as described. Bought it from California Dream Cars. It was my California nightmare. The fawn interior panels were dyed white, the dashboard was cracked, the aftermarket steering wheel was junk, the horn didn't work, there was purple tint on the windows, the valence panels were shreaded, the emergency brake did not work (it hung up on the cheap exhaust system, the front suspension was falling off, the carburetor was from a 1963 Corvette 300 HP automatic car. I did have someone look at the car before purchase but he really wasn't a car guy. My mistake. He basically gave it an OK. However, the car ran. Not well, but ran. It was at best a 10 footer. Bumpers were painted black to hide the damage.

That is all behind me. I took my lumps on the deal and now will go forward. The car is being disassembled, motor freshened up, front end rebuilt, new exhaust to be ordered (what do you think of the stainless system offered on ebay?), probably a Phantom interior package in black, base coat/clear coat in black, dashboard repaired in black, fawn dash insert to be replaced. It currently has a Nardi steering wheel which will probably stay. Fawn steering column also painted black. That should keep me busy for a few weeks.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I'll be back asking the same stupid questions other rookies have.

Edited by opeltwinturbo

There are no stupid questions. We've all had issues to deal with, and depending on the issue, we've come up with various ways to deal with them. Pick our brains and decide which is the best way to go.

It's not that any of us are brilliant (I'm certainly not), but we've faced many of the same problems. The cars are quite old now, and as some parts are difficult to source or repair, we've come up with alternatives out of necessity.

I replaced the padded dash cover(fawn)on my 63. Part #1350520X1 I got it from Bob Ziff from Avanti Parts in PA. I'm very pleased with it. You do have to remove the dash to replace.

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

Yes, I bought this car from ebay in early 07. It came from Van Nuys and was described as an R2 but the supercharger had been taken off. The spare tire wheel is white. As with most things bought and sold on ebay it was not as described. Bought it from California Dream Cars. It was my California nightmare. The fawn interior panels were dyed white, the dashboard was cracked, the aftermarket steering wheel was junk, the horn didn't work, there was purple tint on the windows, the valence panels were shreaded, the emergency brake did not work (it hung up on the cheap exhaust system, the front suspension was falling off, the carburetor was from a 1963 Corvette 300 HP automatic car. I did have someone look at the car before purchase but he really wasn't a car guy. My mistake. He basically gave it an OK. However, the car ran. Not well, but ran. It was at best a 10 footer. Bumpers were painted black to hide the damage.

That is all behind me. I took my lumps on the deal and now will go forward. The car is being disassembled, motor freshened up, front end rebuilt, new exhaust to be ordered (what do you think of the stainless system offered on ebay?), probably a Phantom interior package in black, base coat/clear coat in black, dashboard repaired in black, fawn dash insert to be replaced. It currently has a Nardi steering wheel which will probably stay. Fawn steering column also painted black. That should keep me busy for a few weeks.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I'll be back asking the same stupid questions other rookies have.

Regarding the stainless steel exhaust system, I would recommend to go through Nostalgic Motors in MI. Their web site is not up an running from be redesigned yet, but give them a call,(You gotta love the #, 1-800-Avanti 1. I called and talked with them yesterday about a shift conversion kit for a 700 R tranny swap while talking, found out regarding exhaust systems, they also have all the pipes done in the "600 family" of stainless. They have all the exhaust system stuff including glass packs and the quiet tone mufflers and resonators.

Upon further investigation I do believe this is an R2. The car is non air. The car has a boost vacuum gauge in dash. The Alternator bracket has the supports for the supercharger. The front pulley is a 3 groove. It has a dual point distributor. The ultimate answer lies with the block stamping. Thanks.

Upon further investigation I do believe this is an R2. The car is non air. The car has a boost vacuum gauge in dash. The Alternator bracket has the supports for the supercharger. The front pulley is a 3 groove. It has a dual point distributor. The ultimate answer lies with the block stamping. Thanks.

Yes the R2 does not have a/c. It has 3 groove pulley and it has a three hole bracket right along side the alternator to hold the S/C. The R1 and R2 both have a vacuum gauge. I believe they both have a dual point distributor, but not sure.

SR

Yes the R2 does not have a/c. It has 3 groove pulley and it has a three hole bracket right along side the alternator to hold the S/C. The R1 and R2 both have a vacuum gauge. I believe they both have a dual point distributor, but not sure.

SR

You may also want to contact:

Silvertone Exhaust Systems

118 Culloden Rd., Ingersoll, Ontario Canada N5C 3R1

D. Simmons (519) 485-1966 Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST

Don does not have a website but gets great reviews on his systems from SDC and AOAI members and you can get them in larger diameter than Nostalgic.

I have a set on my 83 and they fit like a glove. He will also make any revisions you would like. I used shorter mufflers and bigger pipes than stock ;) and he made the correct adjustments in the fit. His are stainless only.

I highly recommend him.

Bob

Found the engine number: It is either RI762 or R1762. Located drivers side front left of valley pan cover. If I knew where to look it up I would. Help ! :huh: Thanks. John

It's a R1762, which means it's a R1

Did that attachment I sent help you at all?

Steve