Hog Troughs

Stan Gundry

I am getting close to the point where I need to replace my hog troughs on my '63. Do any of you on this forum have any experience on the such matters as 1) fit, 2) ease of installation, 3) strength, 4) durability/resistance to rust, and 5) good instructions as it relates to the product offered by a) Gearge Dimitsas (.063" cold rolled steel, galvanized and zinc plated) and B) Classic Enterprises (offered in "Standard Steel" and Stainless Steel).

I notice that for ease of installation the Classic Enterprises product comes in 4 pieces per side. Does this end up compromising the strength after the installation is complete?

funny you should ask I'm doing mine now getting ready to glue and pop rivet everything back together ...I live near chicago so I went to georges place and bought the troughs from him my troughs were completly rust through

if you need a question answerd let me know or live in the area me and my friend can do it for you

I belive the one piece trough is the way to go!! click on the attached image boxes to see how bad mine were!

Edited by p schmidt

you may want to check your frame first! ...inspect at the back where the leaf springs bolt to the frame, all the rear end above the tires and such, cross member bar, where the rear shocks attach to the frame, and the frame to body outriggers...you need to get it up in the air for a good frame inspection..ask me how I know...mine was totally shot! lucky enough I was able to get another frame so now we're in the middle of putting everything back on the new frame

Good advice on checking out the frame itself. The frame under my car is not in awful shape and could we restored to good condition with a lot of work. But fortunately, I bought an extra frame years ago that is in great shape--only surface rust. So when I do the hog troughs, I will replace the frame also.

Edited by Stan Gundry

that's the way to go, do the frame and the troughs at the same time...if you troughs were glued all the way around (like mine were) have fun!..get it up in the air I used a air chisel to remove the rivet heads (from under the car) you'll have to cut into the body to access the bolts to the roll bar we went from the inside of the rear tire area, then we had to use the plasma cutter to get the bolts out... a drill bit wouldn't even make a dimple.... very hard steel!...I will say all the holes lined up fairly good on the 1 piece trough very stong!

there's more to the 'story of the troughs' but that's a starter for you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...