1978 avanti 2 steering column

avanti 350

The hi low beam handle has broken due to something binding up I need to know which colume were instaaled if the switch is the culprit

I can't answer directly, but maybe I can provide some clues.

My '71 Avanti came with ignition keys that have the Chrysler symbol on them; the column was likely made by GM (Saginaw Steering) for Chrysler. Saginaw Steering made columns for several manufacturers.

I see no reason Avanti Motors would have changed to another steering column before adapting the Chevy chassis in 1985, but I don't really know that they didn't.

I have a partial list of early Avanti II parts (some parts that differed from Stude Avanti) that lists #1561594X41 for the tilt steering wheel, and the first 7 digits may be a standard GM part number with a modification (X41), but that's a guess and the part number may not be of value anyway.

The ultimate authority on these cars is probably Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motor Cars 1-800-avantix.

Avanti II's used the Studebaker steering column through the 1970 model year...standard and tilt versions. After that their waiver on not installing impact absorbing steering columns expired and they had to transition to a different one to conform to federal safety regulations. If your ignition switch is on the dash, you have a Studebaker steering column. If your switch (lock) is on the steering column, you have a later impact absorbing steering column...either Mopar, GM or possibly even American Motors (still GM manufacture). Evidence on that is not confirmed from what I understand.

I agree...Dan Booth is probably the authority on these. Nostalgic does sell these turn signal levers...whether they fit all 1971 through '85 or just certain years you'll have to ask him.

Are you saying that the handle broke, or that the hi-low won't change from one to the other?

If it's the latter, I had that happen on my 83 a couple of years ago. Fixed it by getting my head under the dash and fiddling with either the wires or a rod on the bottom or side of the steering column. Sorry, but I can't remember exactly what I did, but the fix didn't involve pulling the column apart.

after having my key ingnition switch torn out, high low beam broken off, column ripped apart and left in pieces on my 83 ,while in the hands of a 'hack' mechanic I sent my column to a guy in indiana that rebuilds them.... mine was a gm tilt column ....cost $250 for the rebuild including new lock set and keys and repainted ..the guy did a great job