sun roof

sawczak

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy the material that seals the sunroof and the roof opening for my 1979 Avanti II. We are painting the car and need to replace the felt and rubber ring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy the material that seals the sunroof and the roof opening for my 1979 Avanti II.

I don't know, I can only make suggestions, and hopefully someone on this forum will have exact information for you. But if not, perhaps some of the parts vendors do (try Nostalgic Motors).

If Avanti vendors can't help, I can give you some clues from a 2001 posting by Lew Schucart in the AOAI magazine that might possibly give you a path to chase. This is very old information, so there's no telling if it will bear any fruit...

The sunroofs were originally made by Skytop Sunroofs, which is now defunct, but it's assets were sold to "Auto Air Co/Midwest Custom Auto Top" in St Louis, (314-534-8080 as of 2001). They may (or may not) be able to supply parts and/or a service guide, and/or recommendations on shops that can service old sunroofs.

Another path to persue would be to see if you can find weatherstrip materials that closely match what you have. I'd look at the AUVECO catalog for starters; some parts stores may have a copy of that catalog for their own use, or you may be able to download a catalog from AUVECO's website. JC Whitney used to carry some generic weatherstrip materials years ago, dunno if they still do. And, sometimes NAPA can come up with strange stuff in their parts books, albeit they probably can't look it up under "Avanti sunroof"

• 2 weeks later...

My 76 had an ASC brand sunroof installed when new. Avanti later went to the Skytop brand but not sure what year. My ASC sunroof glass panel was BIG. It was a piece of CARLITE brand glass (Ford). A good guess would be if yours is the same you have an ASC.

My 76 had an ASC brand sunroof installed when new. Avanti later went to the Skytop brand but not sure what year. My ASC sunroof glass panel was BIG. It was a piece of CARLITE brand glass (Ford). A good guess would be if yours is the same you have an ASC.

I've read somewhere that when Avanti Motors was able to fit in a sunroof, they adapted one from a Lincoln. Since you said yours is sourced from Ford, that may be at least circumstantial evidence that's true. Now, if we could identify what Ford or Lincoln it was adapted from it could make parts sourcing easier. I would think that CARLITE glass should have some kind of identification numbers on it as to date made, application, etc.

• 10 years later...
On 3/29/2011 at 9:20 PM, sawczak said:

Thanks! It would be great if we could figure out what year Ford or Lincoln used these sunroofs. The parts would be easier for others to track down.

Steve

Hi Steve.  Did anything ever come of this thread?  Its a decade later, and I'm also looking for the front weatherseal of my 81 Avanti with a SkyTop moonroof.  Dan Booth has the rear one and is sending it, but he doesnt have the front one that wraps around the two sides and front.  Any advice on your search would be welcome.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, JavierB said:

Hi Steve.  Did anything ever come of this thread?  Its a decade later, and I'm also looking for the front weatherseal of my 81 Avanti with a SkyTop moonroof.  Dan Booth has the rear one and is sending it, but he doesnt have the front one that wraps around the two sides and front.  Any advice on your search would be welcome.  Thanks!

Did you ever have any luck? I am looking for the same for a 1980 with a Sky-Top

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

Did you ever have any luck? I am looking for the same for a 1980 with a Sky-Top

Check this out:

https://www.brownaircraft.com/product-p/ba-4555.htm

This seal seems identical to the profile of the SkyTop seal.  What I did was first put in a 1/8" flat seal and then this seal on top.  I just put it in today, and honestly I didnt do a particularly great job of it, but I think it works just like the original seal.  I may need to adjust the alignment a bit of the glass, but this is the best solution I've found.

21 minutes ago, JavierB said:

Check this out:

https://www.brownaircraft.com/product-p/ba-4555.htm

This seal seems identical to the profile of the SkyTop seal.  What I did was first put in a 1/8" flat seal and then this seal on top.  I just put it in today, and honestly I didnt do a particularly great job of it, but I think it works just like the original seal.  I may need to adjust the alignment a bit of the glass, but this is the best solution I've found.

To be honest its possible that the 1/8" first seal is unnecessary, or may be better as a 1/16" seal.  This is not the easiest thing in the world to dry test.

Just now, JavierB said:

To be honest its possible that the 1/8" first seal is unnecessary, or may be better as a 1/16" seal.  This is not the easiest thing in the world to dry test.

Thanks. Any pictures of the installation?

2 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

Thanks. Any pictures of the installation?

I didnt get any in process shots, alas, I had more than hands full trying to keep the weatherseal goop from getting all over everything.  🙂
I'll try and get some finished pix tomorrow.

Just now, JavierB said:

I didnt get any in process shots, alas, I had more than hands full trying to keep the weatherseal goop from getting all over everything.  🙂
I'll try and get some finished pix tomorrow.

I understand that. Thanks