New 1971 Avanti II Owner

ChrisGA

I recently inherited a 1971 Avanti II. It was garage kept but had not been driven the last 6 years. I wanted to get it driveable, so I had a friend who owns a local car restoration company to help me out. After just a little TLC it was purring like a kitten. We took it out to the parking lot and discovered one problem, it wouldn't stop. Further investigation revealed that the rear cylinders were shot. I ended up doing the Turner brake conversion on the fronts and putting new cylinders on the rear. I also had to get a new master cylinder and brake booster. They should be installed within the next few days.

I also noticed that the weather-stripping around the rear vent windows had cracked and bowed up in places. I have the seals to replace, but wondered if anyone could give some directions. After the major brake overhaul, the funds are running low and I will just have to drive it on sunny days until all of the other window seals are checked out or replaced. I did notice that one of the side markers on the driver's side fender, the lens was broken. I have not been able to find it on any of the Avanti part sites. So any help there would be appreciated also.

Just thought I would share as I am excited to get it out on the road again. My dad bought this car in 1989 and it was his baby. I want to slowly make it solid again and one day pass it on to my son - well, he is only 10 now, so I have many years to still enjoy it.

The best thing you can do is pick up copies of the Avanti shop and parts manuals. They're available from most of the vendors either in reprint or on CD's. They're for the Studebaker Avanti but most of the information is correct for Avanti II's outside of the different engines and transmissions. They really are worth every penny.

A hint on the brakes. Besides what you've already done, get new rubber hoses...front and rear. If the hoses on the car are original, it's best to replace them for safety's sake.

I've not personally replaced the rear quarter panel seals, but I would imagine it's pretty straightforward. I would think someone else here with the experience can guide you on that.

With the front marker light...I don't think anyone carries them...at least not new. You might find good, used lenses from one of the vendors. Call around and see. I don't know where Avanti Motors sourced them. Avanti Motors adapted a lot of parts that were readily available on other cars, but have never heard what vehicles those lights may have come from. Every now and then you might find a used pair being offered on Ebay.

I did notice that one of the side markers on the driver's side fender, the lens was broken. I have not been able to find it on any of the Avanti part sites. So any help there would be appreciated also.

Welcome to the cult. I own a 1971, too, which I bought a year or two before your father got his.

I'd second Gunslinger's advice on acquiring the manuals, and add that if you didn't also get

a collection of AOAI magazines from your Dad, consider joining them... they offer CD's

containing copies of most of their past issues.

I can tell you the tear-drop side markers came from a late 60's Datsun, but memory

fails me as to exact years or models.

I'd second Gunslinger's advice on acquiring the manuals, and add that if you didn't also get

a collection of AOAI magazines from your Dad, consider joining them... they offer CD's

containing copies of most of their past issues.

I know he has huge stacks of "Turning Wheels" but I never have seen the AOAI magazines. He had 3 '53 Champions that he let rust into waste. He had owned them since I was born and they all were in working condition. Parked them outside at my grandparent's land and by the time I got old enough to ask about them, they were falling apart. A few years later he went and bought the Avanti.

Where do I find all of these manuals? What are they exactly called? Might run across them somewhere on the internet/eBay.

Where do I find all of these manuals? What are they exactly called? Might run across them somewhere on the internet/eBay.

Information on joining AOAI (members receive 2 issues of their excellent magazine yearly, and they sell back issues):

http://www.aoai.org/membership.php

(unfortunately important links are missing from the website pages and the AOAI store doesn't seem to be working at

the moment... I've notified someone, so hopefully it'll get fixed)

Shop manual looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/4qqwdcr

Parts manual looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/4f9hja2

You may be able to purchase those manuals from Avanti parts vendors, also.

I'm not sure if AOAI sells the manuals.

I know he has huge stacks of "Turning Wheels" but I never have seen the AOAI magazines. He had 3 '53 Champions that he let rust into waste. He had owned them since I was born and they all were in working condition. Parked them outside at my grandparent's land and by the time I got old enough to ask about them, they were falling apart. A few years later he went and bought the Avanti.

Reprints and CDs of the shop and parts manuals are available from several parts vendors:

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Used ones and reprints come up on ebay all the time. The bodies, windows, suspension, etc of the early Avanti IIs are identical to the Studebaker Avantis, so the Studebaker manuals can be used. For engine issues, the appropriate year Chevy shop manual should be used. As Gunslinger said, Avanti Motor Co sourced things like side running lights and locking steering columns that were adopted after 1963 from a variety of suppliers, and it sometimes is difficult to identify where they came from. Nostalgic Motors in Michigan can sometimes provide either info or the parts themselves. They bought the old Avanti Motors supply depot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the brakes 100% and realized that the steering ram cylinder is leaking badly. Now, I have found rebuild kits and rebuilt units. My question is how hard is it to rebuild or should I just buy one that is already rebuilt? I have not seen the unit as a whole on some of the standard part sites I have ordered from. So any ideas?

Well, got the brakes 100% and realized that the steering ram cylinder is leaking badly. Now, I have found rebuild kits and rebuilt units. My question is how hard is it to rebuild or should I just buy one that is already rebuilt? I have not seen the unit as a whole on some of the standard part sites I have ordered from. So any ideas?

Send it to Jon Myers...turnaround time is only a day or so, depending on his workload, but it will be done right. When my car was reconstructed, a rebuild kit was used and it leaked worse after...Jon does it right.

Hi to everyone trying to help out on this 'thread' . I might have some answers for you .

My 1972 AVANTI shares a two car garage with a 1972 AMC JAVELIN 401 COUPE .

Some of the parts on these two cars are shared , obviously Avanti Motors got stuff from AMC .

1. The front sidelights on the fenders are about 6 inches long right ? They are the same , so

if you get in touch with a major AMC parts vendor , they WILL have this lens and bezel .

It's a common part from AMC cars of this era and I've also seen them on Matadors etc

2. Both of my cars have chrome 'racing' rear view mirrors on the doors . They once again

are of original AMC stock and are again very common on AVANTI and AMC around 1972.

3. The tilt adjust steering wheel and column and keying are both AMC origin for the cars .

**** There's probably some more commonality , but I'm still finding stuff out ****

Hope this information helps a few people !!!! ' BRUISER '

That's good to know about the side marker lights...a lot of owners have wondered where Avanti Motors sourced them from. I knew the mirrors were AMC and reproduction versions of them are quite expensive. Depending on the year, steering columns were sourced from AMC or Chrysler. I believe the AMC units were built for them by GM, but to AMC specs...the keys look the same outside of the markings.

Always good to have some more information. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after much research, the 71 uses the side markers from a '68-'69 Datsun 510. The AMC ones mentioned must have been on a different year Avanti as they are more square vs these being a "tear-drop". Anyway, they are not cheap, but still looking. Wanted to get a little feedback from members on their thoughts. Here is a picture:

post-9374-13022096482882_thumb.jpg