surge tank support strap

Newton

Hi all,

i recently removed my surge tank to restore it, and discovered the stud to secure it to a "support strap" (workshop manual reference).

can someone describe this missing strap, provide a picture, and where the other end is secured?

also, looking for a shop that can smooth the top of the tank shell (now disassembled) before i put it back together. any ideas?

thanks,

newton

Hi all,

i recently removed my surge tank to restore it, and discovered the stud to secure it to a "support strap" (workshop manual reference).

can someone describe this missing strap, provide a picture, and where the other end is secured?

also, looking for a shop that can smooth the top of the tank shell (now disassembled) before i put it back together. any ideas?

thanks,

newton

A good "old fashioned" radiator repair shop can do the job....OR call "Cap-a-Radiator" in Farmingdale, NY

thanks fred,

the radiator shops i've checked with here on the west coast don't have the metal working ability to do more the bang out the dents.

i'm hoping to find a shop that can carress it back to new and smooth, without all the wobbles.

any info on that "support strap"?

thanks again,

newton

thanks bob!

thats exactly what i was hoping to see, and thanks for the position info as well.

know anyone selling one? is 1555874 a part number?

if not i can fab one up just from the pix,

looks like it was designed to be adjustable in both directions.

seems like the location you specked is important to get the p/s pulley in the right plane, right?

newton

thanks bob!

thats exactly what i was hoping to see, and thanks for the position info as well.

know anyone selling one? is 1555874 a part number?

if not i can fab one up just from the pix,

looks like it was designed to be adjustable in both directions.

seems like the location you specked is important to get the p/s pulley in the right plane, right?

newton

That is the part number for the bracket. Try Myer's Studebaker in Duncan Falls,OH. 740 674-4897. It not only keeps the pulley aligned but it would be necessary to remove the bracket if you wanted to remove the P/S pump.

I have kept my 64R2 as original as I can & had problems with leaks around the surge tank. After using local guys & repainting only to have leaks develop within a month or two, I decided to send a couple of tanks to Joh Myers. Presto...all is well, clean, shinny, tight and pretty as new. He uses a shop near his location and the results are wonderful. So, email or call Jon Myer, you will not be dissapointed and the price is way less than what I have paid before.

Mark