Rusted Out Windshield Post

wdaly

I remember reading (either here or in the magazine) of someone discovering a rusted ws post, but they never explained what they did to fix it.

The entire windshield 'support' is shown as a part # in the Stude manual (btw the top part is fiberglass and the remainder is steel).

Does anyone know if this part is available? Cafaro used Kevlar to make it for the 1990 models (remember the picture of him with the sledge hammer).

I'll post picture when I can figure out how to do it (rusted right through on the bottom).

Bill

I remember reading (either here or in the magazine) of someone discovering a rusted ws post, but they never explained what they did to fix it.

The entire windshield 'support' is shown as a part # in the Stude manual (btw the top part is fiberglass and the remainder is steel).

Does anyone know if this part is available? Cafaro used Kevlar to make it for the 1990 models (remember the picture of him with the sledge hammer).

I'll post picture when I can figure out how to do it (rusted right through on the bottom).

Bill

Geof Park was selling a windscreen surround a few months ago.

He is located in Ca so check the roster for his details.

pb

Bill

That could have been one of my posts. One of my Avanti's had had its windshield replaced and was installed improperly(no dum dum was used). Both 'A' pillars were rotted out and required complete removal. New ones were fashioned from 4 separate pieces that were bent on a brake and welded together. We then epoxy primed them and rewelded them into place. It was expensive because of all the hand fab work. I've never seen replacement parts anywhere, If only I'd known that Jeff had that frame. I do have some pictures of the installed repair, but none of all the fab work that went into making them.

Geof Park was selling a windscreen surround a few months ago.

He is located in Ca so check the roster for his details.

pb

Thanks - will do.

That could have been one of my posts. One of my Avanti's had had its windshield replaced and was installed improperly(no dum dum was used). Both 'A' pillars were rotted out and required complete removal. New ones were fashioned from 4 separate pieces that were bent on a brake and welded together. We then epoxy primed them and rewelded them into place. It was expensive because of all the hand fab work. I've never seen replacement parts anywhere, If only I'd known that Jeff had that frame. I do have some pictures of the installed repair, but none of all the fab work that went into making them.

Thanks for the feedback. Pictures would be welcomed.

• 5 years later...

I repaired a '67 Avanti which had a rusted windshield post on the drivers side....it's really not too bad of a job if the windshield is out for replacement....Cutting away the rot and replacing with new metal really isn't too difficult if one has access to a good mig welder,....and as long as the welds are solid, one doesn't need to be too 'fussy' appearance wise, as everything is eventually covered by the stainless side surround moulding.

On the left (driver's) side though, be REAL careful about not damaging the headlight, heater control electrical cable, which is inside that post!!!

I repaired a '67 Avanti which had a rusted windshield post on the drivers side....it's really not too bad of a job if the windshield is out for replacement....Cutting away the rot and replacing with new metal really isn't too difficult if one has access to a good mig welder,....and as long as the welds are solid, one doesn't need to be too 'fussy' appearance wise, as everything is eventually covered by the stainless side surround moulding.

On the left (driver's) side though, be REAL careful about not damaging the headlight/heater control electrical cable, which is inside that post!!!

George is no longer in Chicago. He moved to Sevierville, Tenn., and his number has changed to 865-908-6100.  His as with new contact information is in the current issue 176  of Avanti Magazine, page 72.