Tach sending unit & tranny reverse

63 Avanti R2

Hi everyone. I'm wondering why my tach works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The wires are not loose, could it be it's on its way out or does it either work or doesn't?

Also my reverse is not working. Is there something I missed putting it back together. The linkgage is nice and tight and it works in drive?

Thank you

Steve

The tach sending unit is likely the cause of your tach not working correctly. It's a common problem due to age. Several of the vendors carry replacements.

As far as your reverse goes...someone else should be able to help...transmissions are voodoo to me.

The tach sending unit is likely the cause of your tach not working correctly. It's a common problem due to age. Several of the vendors carry replacements.

As far as your reverse goes...someone else should be able to help...transmissions are voodoo to me.

Thanks Gunslinger... I looked in the parts cat. is it a rectangular black box? Mine appears to be round.

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

Hi everyone. I'm wondering why my tach works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The wires are not loose, could it be it's on its way out or does it either work or doesn't?

Also my reverse is not working. Is there something I missed putting it back together. The linkgage is nice and tight and it works in drive?

Thank you

Steve

the ultimate fix will cost over $300 BUT you'll get rid of the sending unit giving you a little more under dash room. I sent my tach to D&M Restorations in Greenville SC.

What a gret job & always there to answer any questions over the phone. All updated components are ALL inside your original tach. They can re-chrome & even silkscreen a new face on the tach. Luckily old R5255 didn'd need that added work. Good Luck !