Elect. Windshield Washer Option..details needed

J Boyle

Per the build sheet, my car came from the factory with option...

63 Electric W/S Washers...

What does that mean?

Our best guess is that it automatically turns on the wipers when the washer pump pedal is pressed.

Is that correct?

During its restoration we fitted a new washing pump.

But the wiper switch that is currently in the car doesn't seem to be a factory Studebaker unit and thus, it doesn't have the terminals to wire the pump into.

If our guess is correct and we need a new wiper switch to make it corect (and work) could someone provide the correct part # for that unit?

At some point during my cars long life, someone removed the under hood tubing and washer fluid bag. I've replaced that with factory correct stuff. I don't forsee actually using hte windshield washer sstem much (or at all since its just for local driving in good weather) but the obsessive part in me wuld like to get it right.

The electric washer was a foot operated switch that activated the washers. It was completely separate installation from the wiper switch. All the parts (pump switch, wiring, washer bag and bracket) are all available through SI and likely other vendors as well. 1558137 is the part number for the switch and its wiring harness. The other parts are separate but available.

The electric washer was a foot operated switch that activated the washers. It was completely separate installation from the wiper switch. All the parts (pump switch, wiring, washer bag and bracket) are all available through SI and likely other vendors as well. 1558137 is the part number for the switch and its wiring harness. The other parts are separate but available.

1558137, that's the part I bought.

So to be clear...the pump doesn't activate the wipers automatically?

Allen installed the part, he thinks its a manual pump. Is that accurate?

In any event...does anyone have an installation sheet for the system? Appearently,it's not in the service manual.

According to the Studebaker accessories pamplet for the Avanti..."WINDSHIELD WASHER...Safe, clear vision at the touch of the toe. Twin streams of water squirt onto the windshield to swish away dirt, bugs and road-splash."

It's foot operated, not automatic with the wiper switch. It's manual in the sense it's not integrated with the wiper switch but a completely separate system. Some Studebakers other than Avanti's used a completely manual foot operated washer pump rather than an electric pump like the Avanti could be equipped with. Later Avanti's...about 1970...started using a combined wiper/washer switch. My '70 has that. Maybe someone installed the later switch in your car at one time? If the button can be depressed it's not the original switch. It's also possible it wouldn't even be wired into the wiper switch at all since it's a separate accessory.

I don't have an installation sheet for one...hopefully someone here does.

It's manual in the sense it's not integrated with the wiper switch but a completely separate system. I don't have an installation sheet for one...hopefully someone here does.

Okay, It's official I'm confused. :)

Are you saying that there is no connection whatsoever between the foot pump and the wipers or are you saying if you turn the wiper switch, the washer doesn't automatically squirt?

Why I'm asking is there are wires on the pump assembly (part 1558137)...they must go to the backside of the wiper switch. (If not, what do they attach to?)

Those wires must would do one of two things....

1. to turn on the wipers on automatically when the pump is pressed.

OR

2. the wires connect the pump to wiper switch to ensure someone's foot feeling for the dimmer switch and accidently hitting the pump pedal doesn't accidently squirt water on the windshield...unless the wipers are on. Basicaly an interlock. (I'm not sure I buy this, it's another theory I've been told by Jon Myers' staff).

I think we've established that the pump itself is NOT electrically powered, just a vacuum pump. Why Studebaker called it electric is a mystery...unless they were just referring to the wires that go to the switch.

Edited by J Boyle

I wish I could tell you for sure on that. It's an add-on accessory and I'm not aware of it being tied into the wiper switch. I'm a bit surprised that Jon Myers' staff theorized rather than knew for sure about it. There has to be someone who has definitive information on that. Jon would have been my first choice on who to ask...maybe Dan Booth at Nostalgic?

While Studebaker generally put out very good parts and shop manuals, on some things (like this), they really weren't clear at all. All we have to go on, it seems, is the little promo in the accessories catalog. Maybe there was a service letter on this issued by the factory, but who might have a collection of service letters?

What makes it weirder is it's not just an accessory...it was a factory option on my car.

As I mentioned in my first post, they call it electric windshield washer system...and so far, I can't find anything electric aboout it. :)

JBoyle..

Well I can tell you for sure that how this works is... When you press the pump the wipers go on for as long as you hold the pump pedal down.. If you are careful you can just apply the pedal down far enough to energize the wipers only.. That is the electric part..

I still remember very well how these worked..

Ron Husak

63 R2

What makes it weirder is it's not just an accessory...it was a factory option on my car.

As I mentioned in my first post, they call it electric windshield washer system...and so far, I can't find anything electric aboout it. :)

JBoyle..

Well I can tell you for sure that how this works is... When you press the pump the wipers go on for as long as you hold the pump pedal down.. If you are careful you can just apply the pedal down far enough to energize the wipers only.. That is the electric part..

I still remember very well how these worked..

Ron Husak

63 R2

No kidding? :D

I've never heard of such a set up, but it makes sense...so its rather like modern cars where the two functions are interconnected.

Thanks...I'll pass on the information to Allen.

John

There's a harness that integrates the foot switch to the wiper switch. When you get the accessory kit from the dealer it's included.

ErnieR

Got it, the wires came attached to the pedal...but no one seems to have instructions to say what wire goes where.

Edited by J Boyle

Got it, the wires came attached to the pedal...but no one seems to have instructions to say what wire goes where.

Check the harness that goes to the wiper switch for an unused connector. I seem to remember that it was that simple, plug the foot pedal harness in and you're good to go.

ErnieR

Check the harness that goes to the wiper switch for an unused connector. I seem to remember that it was that simple, plug the foot pedal harness in and you're good to go.

ErnieR

But, there are 4-5 wires!

Each is a different color.

Edited by J Boyle

If you have a Stude accessory harness it should have connectors already in place. I stuck my head under my dash but couldn't see everything. It's been 15 years since I installed my washers but if memory serves what you need to do is remove connectors from the switch and plug them into the harness and then plug the the harness into the switch. The wire colors should match up as will the connectors.

What you will be doing is plugging the main harness wires into the washer harness and then the washer harness into the switch.

I tried taking pictures for you but after looking at them they will be no help at all.

ErnieR

• 2 weeks later...

On my 63 R2, I had the electric switch under the foot pump pedal. when you push on the pump, the wipers went on and pumped water for 4-5 turns then stopped. I had the car from 67 , bought from the original owner, but never any problems in 10 years , then sold it. Sorry , I never had to disconect wires, there were 4-5 wires.

Roland

• 5 years later...

Ok, so my R4314 has that option, too. What point in trying to make functional? Yes, I have other (better?) things to do!