PERFORMANCE OFF THE LINE R1

studequest

Avanti Brethren:

i am looking for thoughts on this.

Does anyone think this could be a carburetor issue even though it was rebuilt

Would anyone change this to an Eddlebrock and if so ... which one?

I  have a 63 R1 automatic.  The engine has been completely rebuilt

It has the original trans and rear end: I am a bit disappointed that my take off in first gear is about what I had before I rebuilt the When you start in first the car lugs until about 1500 to 1700 RPM until it will get some power

Here are the stats
The current idle is 500.. BOB Halgren made an adjustment but it seems to be at 500
The timing is 10 degrees
The op temperature is about 170
The oil pressure is 60
The original carter carburetor was completely rebuilt with its accelerator pump and check valve
There is no dieseling and no pre-ignition

FROM JIM PEPPER:
I am only guessing but I'll bet the advance curve is slow. This is the
advance versus RPM curve. Study the graph and you will see that it starts at
about 700 - 800 engine RPM and goes up from there. When you had the engine
out did you look for the proper ID code on the torque converter? (I DID NOT CHECK THIS) A stock
converter will give sluggish off idle acceleration as I mentioned several
months ago.

Thanks Keith
anyone who wants to call or text
Keith..
858 5182190
kwahl@san.rr.com

Studegary.. this is how it performed even with my old engine..

I had a picture of the torque convertor when it was oput and you could see the stamping on it.  I sent that to Jim Pepper.. Granted it was not the best photo and you had to magnify it.  Here is what he said

According to the shop manual for both the Avanti or regular passenger cars, none of the production converters have your marking. The Avanti had an “S” stamped in it and was painted with red primer. Avanti powered Larks and Hawks got no stamping and were painted black. These torque converters had a stall speed of 2100 RPM minimum. The standard production converters had FT stamped in them and had a stall speed of 1750 – 1850 RPM behind a 289. I am guessing that your trans was rebuilt at some time in its life and a stock type replacement torque converter was used. This would explain the sluggish performance.

So:  NEW ENGINE, COMPLETELY REBUILT CARBURETOR, TIMED AT 10 DEGREES BEFORE TDC, TESTED WITH VACCUUM AND AGAINST THE CURVE OF THE DISTRIBUTOR, WHICH IS DAVE THIEBUALT'S MOPAR DISTRIBUTOR AND  THE PERFORMANCE TAKE OFF FROM DEAD STOP IN FIRST GEAR IS  THE SAME.  YOU DO NOT GET ANY POWER IN 

1ST GEAR UNTIL ABOUT 1500 RPM

I know I am the third owner because I know the person I bought if from very well and he purchased the car from a long term friend.  I have some original paper work back to 1992 at which time the car had 51,000 miles and it now has 74,000 miles.

GLENW  poor performance in D and in 1st...Stock torque converter stall speed should be 2100... rpm

I tested stall speed by holding brake and accelerating to stall and it was about 1200 rpm

Clearly something wrong with this torque converter.. It is either worn out or is the wrong converter

Edited by studequest
spelling