1982 Rear End Information Needed

popeyesteve

While investigating a rattle in the rear suspension of my '82 Avanti II (RQB3482), I discovered that the mounting bracket for the RH traction bar had broken loose from the differential tube (bad weld job). Looking closer, I found that the weld was so bad that it is impossible that it came from the factory that way. All of the other brackets (spring perches and opposite side T/B mount) have similarly globbed weldment. The brake lines don't attach to tabs factory-style. That being said, I have not yet done further research to identify what kind of rear axle I actually have here. It is an open differential (not posi-track, twin-track, whatever) type, which is not so good for such a nose heavy car. The centering step on the axle flanges are slightly larger than the holes in the wheels (both the wires and the steel spare), making wheel installation a press-fit situation. Also, the tires seem a little too close to the fenders for my taste (don't need tires rubbing fiberglass). My intent now is to decide if this thing should just be cleaned up, re-welded and upgraded to twin-track or replaced with something more appropriate, either a Dana 44 from a donor Avanti or another stronger unit with the same wheel bolt pattern from something else.

What I do need to know is:

1. What is the flange-to-flange (wheel surface interface) width of a stock Avanti unit?

2. If I used a disc brake rear, would I need to eliminate the brake proportioning valve?

3. Does anyone have a source for a good stock replacement Dana 44 (prefer 3.55:1 twin-track, dream on...)?

4. Is there a better "bolt-in" choice identified (hub-to-hub width and bolt-pattern critical)out there than the Dana 44 originally sourced?

I am not trying to break the bank, but I an not trying to go on the cheap, either. I want a foundation rear end in case I decide to ditch the weak-kneed LG4-305 for a strong, streetable 350 or 383 stroker.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Steve, I can't address your questions 1 & 2, but as far as the Dana 44 rear end, My 355 is said to be pushing 400HP buy the builder and the 44 has done well so far. If you have the correct axle (Width + 44) I'd keep it and just add the posi.

If your 44 is of Avanti II vintage it is probably a 30 spline unit. I had mine rebuilt with an Auburn Posi and Richmond 4:10 gears. The total cost of the posi carrier, new gears, bearing kit and labor was $750 to have a solid unit. I'd go that way as the easiest route.

You could try searching the SDC forum as there have been several discussions on using Ford 8 and 9 inch units. If you could find the correct width and a newer unit, it would probably be cheaper than adding the rebuild and disk brakes to a 44.

To me, most Avanti's look like the tire is too close to the fender. My guess is that is due to the fact that the early Avanti's had narrow wheels. When later model wider wheels were added the back set was just not enough to put the wheels in there proper arrangement.

My 83 has 8" rims with 245/60 tires and they fit correctly to my eye. The rear wheels have about 4 3/4 of back set front are 3 1/2. If you need an exact number I can probably find it if I look hard enough.

P1010489.jpg?t=1293904581

Bob

Okay, so I took some pictures and went web surfing for more data and I believe someone has transplanted a Mopar 8-1/4" rear end in this car. I haven't pulled the wheels to measure hub-to-hub yet. I don't know if a well built Mopar is stronger or weaker than the Dana 44 that is supposed to be there, but the cost to upgrade the Mopar to Twin-Track is probably less than to acquire a proper Avanti Dana 44 to rebuild, but definitely not if I have to narrow this unit while it is out. My problem remains the width issue, which brings me back to my original question...

What is the flange-to-flange (wheel surface interface) width of a stock Avanti unit?

I have stock 15X6 wires (4.00" backspacing) with 225R60's and they just seem too close to the fenders to me (see attached photos). There is a lot of room on the inside of the fenderwell for more tire, but the wheel choices get really slim when you need to go more than 4.00" on the backspacing, and that is with a 6" rim. I already made the mistake of mis-measuring the backspacing on a wheel and thus have a new useless set of American Racing Tork-Thrust II's that would look really good on the car if they would fit.

Any information or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

P1020300comp.JPG

P1020302comp.JPG

P1030306comp.JPG

post-8893-12940963863926_thumb.jpg

post-8893-12940963956158_thumb.jpg

post-8893-12940964055301_thumb.jpg

That's not an 8 3/4 Mopar. I'm not sure what it is. A couple of pictures straight on from the back and one from the front and I may be able to identify it. First thought is that it's a GM corporate 10 bolt.

I see that spacers were added to lower the rear and if you feel you don't have enough clearance that could be your problem. Depending on the offset of the wheel and the width of the tire it doesn't take much to cause the tire to stick out from the body. After all it's still a body and frame designed to run skinny bias ply tires.

As far as strength the Dana 44 is plenty strong. The GM 10 bolt if it's an 8.5 ring gear is strong enough for perfromance cars that aren't raced with slicks.

From the looks of the rear spring mounting I would think you have a lot of flex going on back there and maybe even a pinion angle issue. This is a typical mounting. Look how thin the spring insulator is.

ErnieR

swaybar003.jpg

• 2 years later...

So I am still stalled on this rear end issue, and have had no luck locating a replacement actual Avanti Dana 44. I did get rid of those stupid spring spacers and replaced the u-bolts so the car sits a little lower in the rear, but I like the stance better now. I am getting ready to replace the interior and trunk carpeting (with a new gazillion piece carpet set I bought a while back) when I can get some warm-ish days to do so. I am reluctant to go much further with any updates to the rest of the car until I can get this rear end thing resolved. It is driveable and everything right now with the stock LG4 305 and 200R4, but this is a pretty lame setup for someone who enjoys a lot more performance than this drivetrain provides.

Does anyone know where I can get a correct complete rear end? I have tried the internet used "pay for part finder" search route and they came up with nothing but questions and no help.

Steve

Have you tried posting on the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum? You'll probably find more folks there who might have Dana 44s laying around.

Best idea so far. I don't see where you are located but one of the best sources of used parts (mostly Studebaker) but Avanti's are Larks is Bob Peterson in Ca.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?31954-bob-peterson-s-cell-phone-number-hayward-ca

Give him a call and discuss your needs.

Otherwise, Jeeps and the like are full of Dana 44's.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Steve; don't know where your located, but I have a complete Avanti II rear end at place I own in Utah (I'm in Alaska).. A few years back , I picked up an extra frame and running gear with the small block 400 , trans and rear end..anyhow, would be nice to see a fellow Avanti nut get some use out of it..My 'e' is john_torzillo@yahoo.com (rear track on the Avanti is 56.6")