oil filter for 64R2

MARK

Ok all you braniacs, now that my 64R2 is back on the road and the engine is toatally perfect, what is the overall choice for the best oil filter on the market?

The easy answer...whatever you like best. Not a good answer I know, but on the Corvette Forums I go to there's a lot of controversy for no good reason about just that subject. Guys have their favorites and some even buy a bunch and cut them open just to see how they're built and compare them that way. Way too deep for me.

Many people say stay away from FRAM...they used to make a fine filter but the company is under different ownership and the product has been cheapened. Most seem to agree that WIX or NAPA Gold seem to be the best...I'm not sure but I think NAPA Gold is made for them by WIX.

There's filters with and without oil pressure bypass valves built in...some argue about the good and bad of each. The way I look at it is if you change your oil and filter regularly it really doesn't matter that much what brand. For an extended oil change schedule then buying a better brand may make a difference, but that's arguable I guess. If any brand says it meets all manufacturer's warranty requirements, it should be good for all intents and purposes.

Regular, conscientious oil and filter changes is the secret more than the brand of oil and filter. Saying that would start a fight on the Corvette Forum...not my intent here, but my opinion.

The easy answer...whatever you like best. Not a good answer I know, but on the Corvette Forums I go to there's a lot of controversy for no good reason about just that subject. Guys have their favorites and some even buy a bunch and cut them open just to see how they're built and compare them that way. Way too deep for me.

Many people say stay away from FRAM...they used to make a fine filter but the company is under different ownership and the product has been cheapened. Most seem to agree that WIX or NAPA Gold seem to be the best...I'm not sure but I think NAPA Gold is made for them by WIX.

There's filters with and without oil pressure bypass valves built in...some argue about the good and bad of each. The way I look at it is if you change your oil and filter regularly it really doesn't matter that much what brand. For an extended oil change schedule then buying a better brand may make a difference, but that's arguable I guess. If any brand says it meets all manufacturer's warranty requirements, it should be good for all intents and purposes.

Regular, conscientious oil and filter changes is the secret more than the brand of oil and filter. Saying that would start a fight on the Corvette Forum...not my intent here, but my opinion.

How entertaing that you alone have again risen to the top of the information chain of command of all that is Studebaker Avanti important. Wow, that took some thought. Thanks for the anwer. Mark

Studebaker part number is AC3311 (R1 & R2). Here are cross reference part numbers for the filter:

Hastings212 / Checker C 11 / NAPA 1049 / AC PF-31 / Fram PH 11 / Puralator PER-5 / Big A 661 / Wix 51055 / Motorcraft FL-2 /

Mopar L-1 / NAPA: 1049 / Hastings 212 / Purolator PER5 / Wix 51049 / Baldwin V9A (from Bob Johnstone's site)

Myer Studebaker uses the Wix filters and recommends them.

Studebaker part number is AC3311 (R1 & R2). Here are cross reference part numbers for the filter:

Hastings212 / Checker C 11 / NAPA 1049 / AC PF-31 / Fram PH 11 / Puralator PER-5 / Big A 661 / Motorcraft FL-2 /

Mopar L-1 / NAPA: 1049 / Hastings 212 / Purolator PER5 / Wix 51049 / Baldwin V9A (from Bob Johnstone's site)

Wixfilter.gif

This has always been a HOT TOPIC with Rolls-Royce, Bentley and other exotic cars. The filter for my Bentley from the dealer is up to about $35.00. Myself and others use NAPA GOLD filters and BOSCH with no problems. I agree with Bruce, stay away from FRAM. Here is a really good link below with oil filter comparison that I have referred to for years. I hope the guy updates it again soon.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Edited by Paul K.

In the 1970's I worked for a JC Penney Auto Center...all of our filters...oil, air, fuel, etc., were made by Champion Labs. I never saw a problem with any of them. They were all fine quality. I wouldn't have a problem using a filter sold under any label if it was made by Champion Labs.

An aside to that...all of Penney's tune-up parts...spark plugs, ignition points, condensers, distributor caps and rotors, spark plug wires...all were made by Prestolite, which supplied so many electrical pats to Studebaker. I never saw a problem with any of those parts either. We also sold Accel products to the performance crowd...those parts never matched the Penney/Prestolite parts for service. That could certainly have been due to racing use. The Accel points were high quality and had high spring pressure to keep the points from bouncing at high rpm's, but that also led to faster rubbing block wear and replacement.

Private label doesn't have to mean lower quality.

Hastings212 / Checker C 11 / NAPA 1049 / AC PF-31 / Fram PH 11 / Puralator PER-5 / Big A 661 / Wix 51055 / Motorcraft FL-2 /

I appreciate your answer as you too have reached the top rung of the information ladder

Mark

In the 1970's I worked for a JC Penney Auto Center...all of our filters...oil, air, fuel, etc., were made by Champion Labs. I never saw a problem with any of them. They were all fine quality. I wouldn't have a problem using a filter sold under any label if it was made by Champion Labs.

An aside to that...all of Penney's tune-up parts...spark plugs, ignition points, condensers, distributor caps and rotors, spark plug wires...all were made by Prestolite, which supplied so many electrical pats to Studebaker. I never saw a problem with any of those parts either. We also sold Accel products to the performance crowd...those parts never matched the Penney/Prestolite parts for service. That could certainly have been due to racing use. The Accel points were high quality and had high spring pressure to keep the points from bouncing at high rpm's, but that also led to faster rubbing block wear and replacement.

Private label doesn't have to mean lower quality.

Wow, so many braniacs! Lots of information that has complicated the decision. guess I will just leave in what I have--No not really. Thanks for the supportive information. Mark

Mark...what might be a nice idea, just because of the Studebaker connection, would be to use an STP oil filter. They're made by Champion Labs which is definitely good stuff, plus the Studebaker connection between the two brands. Never mind that STP never made oil filters back then and the company has had so many corporate owners in the years since that it's truly not a real connection beyond the names. Auto Zone sells STP brand filters.

Probably something I would do just for that reason.

Mark...what might be a nice idea, just because of the Studebaker connection, would be to use an STP oil filter. They're made by Champion Labs which is definitely good stuff, plus the Studebaker connection between the two brands. Never mind that STP never made oil filters back then and the company has had so many corporate owners in the years since that it's truly not a real connection beyond the names. Auto Zone sells STP brand filters.

Probably something I would do just for that reason.

thanks I like that idea. Would you believe I was rear-ended AGAIN!!!!!! Saterday night while driving from NJ into Staten Island for a Studebaker club holiday party I was on the Staten Island Expressway sitting in traffic when an @##$%^&&& or idiot by any other name crashed into me. Same car event as over a year ago when a lady driving with her knee, on her cell phone and putting on makeup crashed into me when I was sitting at a red light. Man, some events that repeat are just not fun. At least this time the idiot has auto insurance. Thanks for the oil filter suggestion. Mark

Mark...that really sucks! It seems if you didn't have bad luck with Avanti's you wouldn't have any luck at all! Maybe you were born under a bad sign? I hope your Christmas goes better than the way the season has started for you.

Mark...that really sucks! It seems if you didn't have bad luck with Avanti's you wouldn't have any luck at all! Maybe you were born under a bad sign? I hope your Christmas goes better than the way the season has started for you.

Thanks for the thoughts. Actually I consider the fact that I drive my cars. I am not the guy who uses the car for a local parade or to drive during warm,clear & sunny days with limited traffic. I think nothing of a 65 mile drive from NJ into NYC, leaving the car at the parking garage & then drive downtown into Little Italy and enjoy dinner with the guys while the car is parked on the street; usually during the summer whereas we eat outside 15ft from the car. Bad luck, nah, I use my toys and enjoy them, guess so many people have never seen an Avanti so they get up front an personal; or in this case up my "rear" to a better look.

Happy Holiday to you too

Mark