'88 Windshield CRACKED

wdaly

Heater core bad.

Need to remove Dashboard.

In attempt to remove Dashboard (according to Youngstown instructions) I put too much pressure on the windshield (a lot) and it is now 'cracked'.

Soooooooo

Heater core still buried under dash that will not come out and now the windshield is toast.

Anyone have any comments or discussions on WINDSHIELD replacement?

New windshields are still available. Studebaker International carries them...maybe some other vendors as well. Avanti's used the same windshield through 1989 according to their catalog. I believe in the 1970's Avanti Motors had to contract for new, improved glass to meet Federal regs, but the fit was the same. I've heard the new ones were different in thickness, so it's possible some care should taken in the installation and new rubber seals.

Heater core bad.

Need to remove Dashboard.

In attempt to remove Dashboard (according to Youngstown instructions) I put too much pressure on the windshield (a lot) and it is now 'cracked'.

Soooooooo

Heater core still buried under dash that will not come out and now the windshield is toast.

Anyone have any comments or discussions on WINDSHIELD replacement?

Hi, sorry to hear about your Avanti problems.. Windshield is same as early ones. but has black band around unit. Should be available from most any glass shop..

Karl Sparks

I should have been more specific. Thanks guys. I know about the windshields - what I need clarified is how it is 'fastened'. I have the original Shop & Parts Manuals and they indicate that the left and right side trim mouldings are fastened with retainer screws in the pillar. I cut thru the leather trim on the inside of the right pillar (rusted) and could find no fasteners. I thought I read about this years ago - that these 2 mouldings are 'glued' on. I just want to have some answers if the glass shop asks. Also, I don't recall seeing any info on the actual rubber for this window.

Note: I guess when cars are built the windshield is one of the last parts to go on. The dash is 'wedged' in pretty good and the 4(?) studs will not release from the upper dash support. Thus I used an hydraulic jack to lift which worked until CRACK!

Looks like SI has the windshield, left & right posts (if needed) AND the rubber windshield seal.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like SI has the windshield, left & right posts (if needed) AND the rubber windshield seal.

I have read virtually ALL articles on Avanti windshields as well as the 'official' manuals. You ALWAYS start off by removing the L&R pillar posts which are suppose to be fastened by 5 screws each. Question: So where are these screws located? Would they happen to be behind the leather interior that is covering the inside of these 2 posts?

:blink: