Stude daytona frame to GM frame

63 Avanti R2

The Stude frame was used through 1985. There were no '86 Avanti's so the Monte Carlo frame began with the 1987 model year.

Gunslinger...Are you sure you are not one of Loewy's grandsons? You are very knowlegable, thanks for all the help you have given me.

SR

Gunslinger...Are you sure you are not one of Loewy's grandsons? You are very knowlegable, thanks for all the help you have given me.

SR

Just someone whose loved the Avanti since they first came out when I was a little kid. Something about the car has touched a nerve every time I see one. My wife once asked me what it is about Avanti's that turns me on...I told her I couldn't explain it...it's an emotional response. I try and read every thing I can about them...history, etc., and learn from others and their knowledge and experiences. That...and rebuilding a '63 many years ago and having a '70 rebuilt right after I bought it several years ago. You learn a lot doing that...much of it the hard way. Though my '02 is really only an Avanti visually and a modified TransAm under the skin, it still hits me with the same emotional response.

Just someone whose loved the Avanti since they first came out when I was a little kid. Something about the car has touched a nerve every time I see one. My wife once asked me what it is about Avanti's that turns me on...I told her I couldn't explain it...it's an emotional response. I try and read every thing I can about them...history, etc., and learn from others and their knowledge and experiences. That...and rebuilding a '63 many years ago and having a '70 rebuilt right after I bought it several years ago. You learn a lot doing that...much of it the hard way. Though my '02 is really only an Avanti visually and a modified TransAm under the skin, it still hits me with the same emotional response.

When I was Ten years old my grandpa and grandma bought a 1955 Stude Commander regal vista. I now own it. But when I was younger I would go with her to have the oil changed etc. They would have a Avanti in the showroom. Of course, I fell in love with it, just like you.

Now I have a 64 R1 and a 63 R2, plus the 55. The R2 I'm doing a body off restoration. It's in the process of being put back together. The R1 I just drive, but right now it is taking a long winters nap.

Like you, I can't take my eyes off of them.

• 1 month later...

My understanding is the entire body was changed when the change to the GM frame was made. The entire underbody in particular is different, the bulkhead is different, plus the wheel wells are placed differently, though the overall look is the same. A transplant is practically not feasible. If you want a GM framed Avanti...buy one.