1981 Avanti II Window Motors, Trunk Lock Assembly

DrDomovoi

You guys were incredibly helpful with my shock issues, so I might as well ask about these items too! I have the electronic trunk lock that has the button in the glovebox to unlock, and everything electronic works, the problem is with the actual locking assembly that mounts to the trunk itself, and houses the springs and claws that are supposed to snap shut to secure the trunk bar on the lid when you close it. I took it out and found the problem, there's a coil-spring near the bottom that is supposed to have a lip to catch at a certain spot and keep spring tension to make the claws snap shut on the lid latch. But the assembly is put together with philips-type screws, but they are angled so that a regular screwdriver would slip out if you tried to loosen or tighten them, which probably wouldn't help anyway because who knows how I would find the spring itself. But does anyone know how or where I can find a replacement or substitute locking mechanism? Any ideas, suggestions, or similar experiences?

Also, along with a lot of you guys, my drivers side window has frozen up, and I'm told it's just the motor itself, I know when I hit the switch I see a heavy dip in the ampometer or whatever it's called on the dash, so I can see it drawing current, but I just don't get any movement. Anyone have luck with aftermarket replacement motors or something? Thanks again!

Tim.

For the trunk lock mechanism I would contact either Jon Myers at Myers Studebaker or Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. Those two gentlemen probably have the greatest knowledge of Avanti information (and parts) anywhere in the country.

Your driver's window mechanism could be as simple as the rollers and tracks being full of solidified grease. A good cleaning and fresh lubrication could fix the problem. Of course, the electric motor could be locked up, and could need lubricating, rebuilding or replacing. Replacement motors are available from the Studebaker vendors if necessary. A good automotive electrical shop should be able to rebuild it as long as it's not physically damaged. The electric motor is trying to work since it's drawing power. Something, either internal to the motor or from the tracks that's keeping it from functioning.