Flight-o-matic trans seal kit

Alan Blalock

Can anyone shed light on the possibility that there are more than one transmission seal kit available for the 1964 Flight-o-Matic transmission? A transmission shop indicated that it depended on what serial number the transmission had, as to which seal kit it used. I assumed all 1964 transmissions(Flight-o-Matic) used the same kit. Any advise would be appreciated, and I trust the Avanti owners opinion for my go to choice. Thank You.  Alan Blalock R5451

I am not an expert on these, but I believe that the gaskets and O-ring kits, front seals and rear seals are the same for 1963-1971 Avantis with floor shift automatic. (I am open to correction on this one.) I won't hazard an opinion on other internal parts (I don't think that is what you are asking about.).  You do confuse me with the "Flight-O-Matic" statements.  These were not used in Avantis.  The only automatic in an Avanti was the Power-Shift.   

The Flight-O-Matic was what Ford called them, early on, they are the same transmission as the Studebaker, Borg Warner manufactured these.  I in the mid 60's to early 70's Ford renamed it to the FMX.  I believe there is a difference between the earlier from the 50's Flight-O-Matic to the 60's FMX case.  However when they were adopted into the Avanti I don't believe there was any update to case over these years.

This is going off memory....

Jeremy

45 minutes ago, JeremyW said:

The Flight-O-Matic was what Ford called them, early on, they are the same transmission as the Studebaker, Borg Warner manufactured these. . . . This is going off memory....

Jeremy, my memory isn't what it once was either:

The first Ford automatic, Ford-O-Matic, introduced in 1951, designed by the Warner Gear Division of Borg Warner.  It evolved into Cruise-O-Matic in 1958 and finally the FMX in 1968.

While the B-W transmission was also used by AMC, IH, Volvo, Checker and many others, Studebaker was the only company to use the Flight-O-Matic designation.

jack vines

Ford called them Cruise-O-Matics. The front pump and tail shaft seals are exclusive to Studebaker. That is if you by a generic Borg Warner rebuild or seal kit, those two seals will have to be sourced separately.