'64 R2 wider wheel

avantifred

I want to install new 6" wide 5x4.5 wheels on my Avanti. The tires are VERY old so I figured I'd have them powder coated & NOS hubcaps too.

What replacement wheel should I be looking for ? Should I go to a local "junk yard"??

Fred

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to update tires/wheels on my '63 R1 (R4314). The Avanti Magazine (Issue 152) that was recently sent confirms use of '83-'97 Ford Crown Vic wheels. What experience do others have with the Ford wheels? I plan to use P205/75R15 tires with these wheels and the '63 Avanti wheelcovers. Car is equipped with original brakes. No immediate plan to change - tho rear discs have my interest. Will the Ford wheel fit into the spare tire well?

I put Ford Crown Vic wheels on mine. Readily available in the junkyard. You just need to replace your 3/4 hex lugnuts with 13/16 hex.

Made a big difference in ride and handling, BTW.

The wider wheel and tire will sit higher in the trunk. Compact spares from modern iron work well if you want a flat trunk floor.

ErnieR

Tnx - I appreciate the input. Perhaps I'll keep a Studebaker wheel for the spare? What tires seem to work?

It's not the wheel that creates the height issue as much as the modern radial.

I like p215/75 for a tire it matches the height of the original 6.70's and fills the wheel wells nicely. A matter of personal preference as some use p205's to p225's.

ErnieR