Original Tire Size on 89 Convertible

gilbybarr

Hey there folks...can someone out there help me with the original from the factory size of the tires on an '89 Avanti Convertible? Right now mine has 215-65/15's on it....dont know if that is right. The dealers booklets I have dont give the size but does show the cars originally with BF Goodrich TA white letter radials. Need to put some new tires on....old ones are flat spotted/out of round and giving me a steering wheel bump. Also..(and I know this is an old subject)...any suggestions on wheels that would work on one of these Caprice based cars? The original wheels are still on it (they look like a C4 Corvette wheel) but they are so plain and dated looking I'd like to update some. I know these are strange offset wheels. Thanks for your time and consideration on this question. Ed in Knoxville.

avanti89golfsidelowforum.jpg

I have a tire information sticker for an Avanti of that vintage and it says the tire size front and rear is P205/65R15, so your car has tires one oversize on it. One oversize should be fine, though it does make your speedometer a bit off.

As far as wheels, you'll have to take one off and measure the offset and rim width to find a suitable replacement. The information should be cast into the wheel on the backside or even inside the rim and can't be seen without the tire being removed, but most likely on the backside of the rim. There's a bewildering array of custom wheels out there...you should be able to find something you like. Be aware if you buy wheels that use special lug nuts, you should keep a set of the original lug nuts with the car for use with the spare if it becomes necessary.

I have a tire information sticker for an Avanti of that vintage and it says the tire size front and rear is P205/65R15, so your car has tires one oversize on it. One oversize should be fine, though it does make your speedometer a bit off.

As far as wheels, you'll have to take one off and measure the offset and rim width to find a suitable replacement. The information should be cast into the wheel on the backside or even inside the rim and can't be seen without the tire being removed, but most likely on the backside of the rim. There's a bewildering array of custom wheels out there...you should be able to find something you like. Be aware if you buy wheels that use special lug nuts, you should keep a set of the original lug nuts with the car for use with the spare if it becomes necessary.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I checked my door jams....has a label indicating the correct size is in fact 215-65 15......I spoke with another 89 vert owner who is running 205-70 15's and is very pleased...they look a bit better in the wheels well..not so boy racer. May take a look at that size as well. tks. GILBYBARR

My 1989 COUPE came with 215/65 x 15 "Comp TA HR Tires." The stock wire wheels are long gone, but I'm still running the 215/65's.

Offset is a major problems on the 1989, because the rear end is so wide.

I personally like your "Corvette" rims, and wish I had them.