pertronix ignition coil

63 Avanti R2

My 64R1 has a pertronix ignition kit. It's four years old. The coil is a pertronix 40,000 volt, 1.5ohms coil. It went bad and I replaced it with a NAPA "ECHLIN #IC14"

I have no idea what the ohms or volts are on this coil.

Should I have replaced it with the pertronix coil? I'm not really convinced this (NAPA coil) is doing the job. It gets very hot to the touch. After I have driven the car awhile it wants to loose power under exceleration. Help, please and thanks

I think the main thing about a Pertronix coil is taht it has no internal resistor so there's a full 12 volts.

Coils will normally get hot, at least as hot as the ambient engine compartment temps.

The coils are usually marked 'external resistor' or 'internal resistor'. Check your Napa unit.

ErnieR

As ErnieR said, check and see if your NAPA coil needs an external resister or has an internal one. Add a resister if it requires one.

I wouldn't worry about whether the NAPA coil is doing the job otherwise. Coils are among the most over-hyped pieces of auto equipment. If it only takes 30k volts to fire the sparks across the spark plug gaps it doesn't matter if it's a 35k, 40k or 50k volt coil. It will only put out the voltage required to do that regardless of its maximum capability. If you use wider spark plug gaps it does require more voltage to fire them. What you gain with a higher voltage coil is more capability if something is less than optimum with your ignition system. What is more important is the coil's saturation time...how quickly it recovers from each voltage pulse for the next one.

If you feel there's something wrong, it's likely not the coil unless it has something to do with the coil's possible lack of a resister or the wrong resister. Check and see what your Pertronix system recommends for a coil and resistance. If that's correct check and see if the air gap in the Pertronix hasn't changed or if the distributor is worn and has wobble to it. If your car has a Prestolite distributor that's a distinct possibility.

Why do you say your Pertronix coil went bad? Are you sure of that? It could be masking a problem inside the distributor.

Thanks Ernie and Gunslinger for your input. The reason I replaced the coil was because of a very weak spark. I tested against a ground and there was very little snap. The car was hard starting, so I replaced it with the NAPA coil and it made a world of difference.

Then I find out I have a fuel delivery problem at highway speeds. I have a electric fuel pump. Took the fuel line off the carb and cranked it over...just trickled. Replaced it with a Mr Gasket #12S and I'm on my way. Had her going 70 down the highway, like on a cloud

Two things to keep in mind:

The OEM has not used "can" coils in decades and they are not domesticaly made anymore.

Pertronics coils are from China and are junk. Pick up and old OEM coil at a swap meet or a junk yard and it will likely last many years. Bosch coils could be an option and were still made in Germany a couple of years ago. The internal resistance is important and easy to measure, if you run out of steam at 4 grand, look to the coil.

Also engines under boost conditions demand a big spark. "Got boost?"