A/C idle booster

Mel

The A/C did not work on my 66 with the 327 Corvette motor when I bought it and I replaced the compressor with one from Vintage Air. As I write this, I've got it in an A/C shop, having the guy evacuate the system and recharge it with R134. (A tag under the hood indicates it had been charged with 134 some time back.) It does not have an idle boost for when the A/C is engaged and I need to know if anyone knows the setup, where I can get one, etc. Many thanks!

The A/C did not work on my 66 with the 327 Corvette motor when I bought it and I replaced the compressor with one from Vintage Air. As I write this, I've got it in an A/C shop, having the guy evacuate the system and recharge it with R134. (A tag under the hood indicates it had been charged with 134 some time back.) It does not have an idle boost for when the A/C is engaged and I need to know if anyone knows the setup, where I can get one, etc. Many thanks!

Does your 327 still use the Carter AFB carburetor? If so, it will probably use the dashpot or idle compensator that was used on R1's and R2's. I believe Studebaker International and Jon Myers carry reproductions of them. You might check with Edelbrock to see if their electric a/c idle compensators will work on an original AFB. If so you can get one of theirs from Summit Racing or Jegs...they're not really inexpensive but the repro dashpots aren't either.

If your engine has a Quadrajet, you'll have to source a compensator from NAPA or someplace similar. Maybe even Corvette parts suppliers like Corvette Central, Eckler's or other might have it, but I believe Avanti Motors didn't begin receiving Quadrajets in place of the AFB until 1969.

Edelbrock's compensator would be my first choice if it can be used on an AFB, otherwise get a repro unit from Myers or SI...my opinion only.

Does your 327 still use the Carter AFB carburetor? If so, it will probably use the dashpot or idle compensator that was used on R1's and R2's. I believe Studebaker International and Jon Myers carry reproductions of them. You might check with Edelbrock to see if their electric a/c idle compensators will work on an original AFB. If so you can get one of theirs from Summit Racing or Jegs...they're not really inexpensive but the repro dashpots aren't either.

If your engine has a Quadrajet, you'll have to source a compensator from NAPA or someplace similar. Maybe even Corvette parts suppliers like Corvette Central, Eckler's or other might have it, but I believe Avanti Motors didn't begin receiving Quadrajets in place of the AFB until 1969.

Edelbrock's compensator would be my first choice if it can be used on an AFB, otherwise get a repro unit from Myers or SI...my opinion only.

It looks like someone changed the carburetor on your car sometime in the past. Holley makes a compensator for their carbs...they call it a dash pot. It's available from Summit Racing. They list several mounting brackets...they say universal but I would get the model number off your carburetor before buying one blind.

It looks like someone changed the carburetor on your car sometime in the past. Holley makes a compensator for their carbs...they call it a dash pot. It's available from Summit Racing. They list several mounting brackets...they say universal but I would get the model number off your carburetor before buying one blind.

Thanks for the info.

Question is...does your car want to stall with the A/C on? If not don't worry about the idle compensator.

Good question. I've just gotten it back and haven't 'shaken' it down enough yet to see if I actually need one. Thanks.

ErnieR