Installation of LEDs in gauges?

grobb284

I have read the thread of Indyjimw's installation of LEDs in his gauges three years ago. LEDs have probably advanced again in the last three years.

I'm desiring to put red LEDs in my VDO cockpit gauges in my Avanti.

These new VDO gauges have indirect side lighting, taking a wedge type bulb. The indirect lighting is like aftermarket Stewart Warner gauges, where the bulb plugs directly in the back of the gauge.

Has anyone done this that would have LED bulb recomendations?

Also, the VDO vacuum gauge because of the mechanical construction has much weaker side illumination than the other electrical gauges perhaps by 1/2. Has anyone overcome this with a specific LED?

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at this web page -

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini-wedge.html

Good luck

Jim

I have read the thread of Indyjimw's installation of LEDs in his gauges three years ago. LEDs have probably advanced again in the last three years.

I'm desiring to put red LEDs in my VDO cockpit gauges in my Avanti.

These new VDO gauges have indirect side lighting, taking a wedge type bulb. The indirect lighting is like aftermarket Stewart Warner gauges, where the bulb plugs directly in the back of the gauge.

Has anyone done this that would have LED bulb recomendations?

Also, the VDO vacuum gauge because of the mechanical construction has much weaker side illumination than the other electrical gauges perhaps by 1/2. Has anyone overcome this with a specific LED?