'63 Interior Trim Codes?

Gil

I'm curious to know if the Stude historians have ever compiled production figures for the various interior trim codes. I have the impression that the 933 ORV (Regal orange vinyl) in my R2 is a bit unusual, but that's little more than a guess. Thanks.

I'm not aware of anyone who has tackled such a project. It would take having access to every production order for every car and I don't know if anyone has such access...at least not without buying a copy for every car from the Studebaker National Museum. A database would have to be created for every interior color combination, which color combination went into a car with a Regal or Deluxe interior, etc. While a database would be set up, you could into which cars had an R1 or R2 engine, 3- or 4-speed transmission or a Powershift, a/c or no a/c, power windows, etc. You could also add to the database the exterior color so information can be extracted how that relates to other options. In fact...anything on the production orders can be in the database...tires, etc., as well.

It would be quite an undertaking...one that would really be interesting to have, but I don't see any one person being able to do it.

If you were retired and had no better way to spend a month, I guress you could do it at the Museum. Park your RV out back and hunker down with a laptop and reading glasses. It might be fun, certainly, it appeals to the nerd in me. :D

If you were retired and had no better way to spend a month, I guress you could do it at the Museum. Park your RV out back and hunker down with a laptop and reading glasses. It might be fun, certainly, it appeals to the nerd in me. :D

Well, I'm recently retired, but my wife is firmly convinced that I am already hunkered down all too much of my life in front of the iMac! You are right, it would be a major research project to explore all the major options and potential combination of those options. Note that I asked the question but I'm slow to volunteer for the project!

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm recently retired, but my wife is firmly convinced that I am already hunkered down all too much of my life in front of the iMac! You are right, it would be a major research project to explore all the major options and potential combination of those options. Note that I asked the question but I'm slow to volunteer for the project!

Thanks.

After doing research on my 1963, I have the following information posted on my windshield when showing the car:

This 1963 Studebaker Avanti came off the Studebaker Corporation assembly line in South Bend, Indiana on

April 4, 1963. It is powered by Studebaker’s 289 cu.in. R-1 (non-supercharged) engine.

There were only 3,834 Avantis built in 1963, of which 2,282 have the R-1 engine.

Only 874 had air conditioning, and only 682 were painted turquoise.

I recommend Everyone that has an antique car make up a simple 8.5 x 11 inch sign on their (or the library's) computer with the make, model, and year of your vehicle. If you feel so inclined you can add other information as I do. Then your library (or office supply store) can laminate the sign and you are good to go and the world will learn about your car!

After doing research on my 1963, I have the following information posted on my windshield when showing the car:

Only 874 had air conditioning, and only 682 were painted turquoise.

Where did you get the color number?

Have any others?